Richard Geddes

1880 - April 15th, 1912

Zodiac Sign Is Unknown

Richard Charles Geddes was born in Carlisle Cumbria, England and his birth was registered in the late quarter of 1880. He was the son of Richard Charles Geddes (1848 - 1894) and Ann Thomlinsom (1846 - 1924), both Cumberland-natives who had married in Carlisle. On the 1881 census Richard was listed as a 6-month-old infant with his family at Corporation Road, Rockgate, Carlisle. His father is described as a general labourer and present also are his siblings: Ann Boustead (born 1873), John (born 1877), and James Boustead (born 1879). On the 1891 census Richard and his family are living at Hogsons Lane, Stanwix, Cumbria and his father is now listed as a gardener. He also gained a sibling, Emma (born 1887).

Richard was married in Carlisle in early 1900 to Sarah Ann Armstrong (born 1879 in Carlisle). The couple are listed on the 1901 census living as "Brunstock in Crosby-on-Eden, Stanwix, Cumbria with their 8-month-old daughter Elise. Richard is described as a solicitor's clerk. By the time of the 1911 census the family have resettled in Hampshire following a brief spell in Liverpool where their son Leslie Stuart was born in 1905. The 1911 census lists them living at Grove Street, Freemantle, Southampton and Richard is described as a ship's steward. Richard and Sarah would have another child, Majorie, later on September 18th, 1911.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
When he signed-onto the RMS Titanic, on April 4th, 1912 Richard gave his address as Grove Road, Southampton. His last ship had been the RMS Olympic. As a bedroom steward he received monthly wages of £3, 15s. Richard penned a letter to Sarah which was posted in Queenstown. Richard died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified. Sarah gained financial assistance from the Titanic Relief Fund and she never remarried. She died in Droxford, Hampshire in 1951 at the age of 71.

Leslie would later marry Queenie Philips in 1930 and died in Southampton in 1940. Marjorie married Frank Eames in 1935 and and she passed away in Southampton in 1997. Elsie was married in 1919 to Arthur Davies but what became of her isn't certain. Richard is remembered on the family grave in Stanwix Cemetery, Carlisle.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Richard Geddes.