James McGrady

March 8th, 1885 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Pisces.

James McGrady was born in Lisnamore, Crossgar in Co Down, Ireland into a Roman Catholic family. He was the illegitimate son of Ann Hagan (born 1867). The identity of James's father isn't entirely certain; there had been reports that he was a railway worker by the name of James McGrady who apparently died before the younger James was as born. No such records have surfaced for any such death occurring. It may have been a simple case that James' mother and father just never married and the absence of a father was explained away in stark and final terms. His mother was later remarried to Thomas Alphonsus Savage (March 11th, 1867), a farmer from Killyleagh, Co Down yet further details about this match to remain unclear and it's not known if they had any children.

James appears to have been raised for a portion of his early by his widowed maternal grandmother, Margaret Hagan (born 1815 in Co Down) and they appear together on the 1901 census living in Lisnamore, Crossgar. He was described at the time as an agricultural labourer and at the age of 16 and apparently went to sea around that age also. His grandmother died the next year following a aneurysm on June 15th, 1902 at the age of 87 and the informant was James' mother Ann Savage.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
When he signed onto the RMS Titanic on April 6th, 1912, James gave his local address as the Platform Tavern in Southampton. His previous ship had been the Oceanic and as a first class steward he received monthly wages of £3, 15s. James died in the sinking. His body was later recovered, around May 25th, 1912 by the steamship Algerine. The body was transferred to the Florizel and returned to Halifax, Nova Scotia on June 11th, 1912, and was buried along with other Titanic victims at Fairview Lawm Cemetery.

James was the last body to be recovered and was listed as #330 but, in fact, only 328 bodies were recovered. There is a memorial plaque to James inside the Platform Tavern and there is also outside the pulp entrance.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace James McGrady.