John Irwin Flynn

1864 - April 15th, 1912:

Zodiac Sign Is Unknown.

John Flynn was born in Carrowhekeen, Clonbur, Co Galway, Ireland to farmers John and Catherine Flynn (born 1821) and he had 2 sisters: Bridget (born 1851) and Mary. Sources differ as to when John first emigrated to the USA; the 1910 census states he arrived in 1889 whilst other sources say that he had been a resident for 28 years as of 1912. Whatever the date of his arrival he stayed with an uncle in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania and worked as a local steel mills.

He was married in Pittsburg during the summer of 1891 to Mary Cassidy (August 14th, 1871) who had emigrated from Cornamona, Galway, Ireland in 1885. They had 6 children: Catherine (born 1893), Marie (born 1894), Edward (born 1899), John (born 1904), Elizabeth (born 1908), and Dolores (born 1910). In early 1912 John returned to his native Ireland to visit his widowed sister Bridget whose husband had died in 1910. Bridget had taken over the farm from her parents and her father died sometime before 1901 and her mother died in 1906. John assisted her on the farm, perhaps with the intention of taking it over. He was summoned back the USA however for reasons uncertain.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
For the return voyage to the USA John boarded the RMS Titanic at Queenstown on April 11th, 1912 as a 3rd class passenger. He was described as an agricultural labourer and at the age of 32.

John died in the sinking and his body, if recovered, was never identified. His widow Mary never remarried and continued to live in Pittsburg and was taking in lodgers to make ends meet by the time of the 1920 census. What became of her and her children is unknown. A memorial was erected to John in Clonbur, Galway to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his death:

IN HONOUR OF
JOHN FLYNN
CARROWSKEHEEN

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace John Irwin Flynn.