Mary Eliza Compton

August 7th, 1847 - December 4th, 1930

She is a Leo.

Mary Eliza Ingersoil was born in Westchester, New York to Lorin Ingersoil (1813 - 1889), a tin manufacturer, and Rebecca Ely Hasley (1819 - 1890). Both her parents bailed from New York and she had 6 known siblings: James Harrison (born 1840), Moses Ely (born 1842), William (born 1844), Sarah Maria (born 1849), John Ely (bkrn 1856), and Laura J. (born 1858). She first appears on the 1850 census living in West Farms, Westchester, New York with her parents and siblings but by the time of the 1860 census she was living with her family in Morrisania, Westchester.

She was married to Alexander Taylor Compton (May 17th, 1842 in Newark, New Jersey), the son of John and Sarah Compton. He worked as a lawyer in both New York and his native New Jersey. She and Alexander appeared on the 1870 census living with her parents in New York. They went on to have 3 children: Lorin Ingersoll (1870 - 1872), Sara "Sadie" Rebecca (born 1872), and Alexander Taylor Jr (born 1874). The family would appear on the 1880 census living in East Orange, New Jersey. Alexander died on January 30th, 1902 and his remaining family later settling in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Together with Alexander Jr and Sara, she boarded the RMS Titanic at Cherbourg as 1st class passengers. She occupied cabin E-45.

Mary and Sara were rescued in lifeboat 14 but Alexander Jr was lost in the sinking.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Following their arrival in New York aboard the RMS Carpathia Mary and Sara stayed at the Murray Hill Hotel in New York and she was reportedly devastated at the loss of Alexander Jr. She later related that when she said goodbye to him on the boat deck as she entered a lifeboat that would be the last time she saw him.

Following the sinking, Mary continued to travel the world but made New York City her home base. She continued to spend her summers in Lakewood, New Jersey and died on December 4th, 1930. She is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Newark, New Jersey.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Mary Eliza Compton.