Nora Murphy

No Picture Available

May 11th, 1880 - Unknown

She is a Taurus.

Norah Murphy was born in Mountjoy, Dublin, Ireland to Patrick Murphy (born 1834), a draper, and Catherine Theresa O'Grady (born 1841) and they had married in St Andrew's Church in Dublin on February 3rd, 1864. The family were Roman Catholic and from Dublin's North side. Norah's known siblings were: Mary Julia (born 1865), Peter Anthony (born 1867), Mary Catherine (born 1859), Frances Margaret (born 1873), Patrick John (born 1875), and Lillian Angela (born 1876). Whilst it's uncertain whether Norah had never been married she mothered a daughter around 1906 who was raised by a sister.

By the time of the 1911 census was listed as living in Sallins Co Kildare and was described as an unmarried nursemaid to the family of merchant John Park Healy and his family. Her widowed father Patrick and Frances were still residing in Dublin at Park Avenue, Pembroke.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Norah boarded the RMS Titanic at Queenstown on April 11th, 1912 as a 3rd class passenger. She was travelling with Michael McEvoy, a native of Queens County (modern-day Co Laois) over 10 years her junior and it's been suggested that they were lovers. Her intended destination was East 50th Street in New York.

Norah was rescued alongside a number of other Irish passengers with whom she was likely acquainted, but the boat number isn't certain.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Following her arrival in New York she changed plans from her intended destination and instead decided to travel to the Irish immigrant Girls' Home at State Street. It's said she had befriended first class survivor Karl Behr, seemingly whilst aboard the RMS Carpathia. He gave her a start and she took up employment as a domestic servant with Karl's father Herman Behr in Manhattan.

Norah was shown on the 1920 census still living in Manhattan and under the employ of Herman but following that she drops off the radar and what became of her is unknown, even to her immediate family. Back in Ireland, her father died on July 13th, 1914.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Nora Murphy.