John Hugo Ross

November 24th, 1875 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Sagittarius.

John Hugo Ross was born in Glengarry Co., Ontario, Canada and moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba with his parents hen he was 2 years old. He was the son of Arthur Wellington Ross, Libal-Conservative Member of the Canadian Parliament for the Manitoba Constituency of Lisgar. His father, a real-estate broker, was involved in the construction of of the Canadian Pacific Railway, and in 1878 was elected a member of the Manitoba Legislature. He resigned his seat in 1882 to run for federal office, and was elected MP. As a child, John Hugo was described in the Winnipeg Free Press as "a rosy-faced boy in knickerbockers, riding his dog sled, or off skating. On Sundays and special occasions he was the little gentleman in a kilt." When he was still in his teens, his father got him a position working for the lieutenant-governor of Manitoba, James Coolbrook Patterson. He worked there for a year and left Winnipeg for Toronto where he went into business for himself as a mining broker. The firm failed, he had a falling out with his father, and in 1902, with 25 cents in his pocket, went off to the Klondike to pan for gold. By the time he got there he realized the rush was over.

When his father died, he inherited the family fortune and returned to Winnipeg to look after his widowed mother. Dapper and flamboyant, he had a sarcastic wit. He and realtor Thomson Beattie had offices across the hall from each other in the same Merchants Bank Building. Ross' secretary, Maud MacArthur, in fact, considered herself Beattie's fiancée.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Ross, Beattie, and Vancouver banker Thomas McCaffry sailed from New York on the Franconia on January 20th, 1912. After 2 months in the Aegean and Egypt, Ross was feeling ill, and they decided to cut their vacation short. "We were on the last lap of doing the old lands and ready for Winnipeg and business", he wrote a postcard to friends in Winnipeg. Ross cancelled the reservations on the RMS Mauretania and booked cabin A-10 on the RMS Titanic instead. When he boarded on April 10th. 1912, he was so ill from dysentery he had to be carried to his cabin on a stretcher.

The last person to see Ross alive was probably Major Arthur Peuchen. Peuchen made his way up the grand-staircase and saw Ross still in his pajamas. When Ross was told the ship had struck an iceberg and he should get dressed, Ross refused to believe the trouble was serious. "Is that all?" he told Peuchen. "It will take more then an iceberg to get me off this ship." Presumedly Ross drowned in his bed. His body was never recovered but a memorial plaque with his name on it can be found in Winnipeg City Hall. McCaffry and Beattie died in the sinking as well.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace John Hugo Ross. Now if only I can stop realizing how massively fucked up this one is.