William Bertram

May 11th, 1888 - November 12th, 1949

He is a Taurus.

William Bertram Greenfield was born in Newark, Essex, New York to Leo David Greenfield (1863 - 1934), a furrier, and Blanche Strouse (1867 - 1936). Both his parents were born in New York and were of German heritage. William appears on the 1900 and 1910 census recorded living with his parents and grandmother in New York. By the time of the latter record she was described like his father, as a furrier. He became vice president of Leo D. Greenfield & Co Inc., a manufacturer of fur garments for ladies.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
William was a frequent traveller, making annual trips to Europe where he would purchase fur pelts in Russia. He boarded the RMS Titanic at Cherbourg with Blanche and they occupied cabin D-10/12. After the collision, William played cards in the 1st class smoking room with Alfred Nourney (Baron von Drachstedt) and Henry Blank.

He and his mother were rescued in lifeboat 7, the first boat to leave the Titanic

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
William rarely spoke about the Titanic disaster largely out of respect to Blanche who was forever haunted by the screams of those who died in the icy waters. He later confided to family that it wasn't the sounds of humans perishing that haunted him most, but the dogs left behind who he heard barking and shrieking (A/N: Poor babies). William continued to travel frequent on business particularly to France, but also Britain, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. He was married in Manhattan on October 7th, 1914 to Flora Stern (November 11th, 1892), a New York resident born in Poland.

They settled in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York and had 2 daughters: Anne (born 1915) and Nell (born 1919). He served during WW1 following which he spent the 1920 and 1930's living in Queens before relocating to Manhattan by the time of the 1940's. William died on November 12th, 1949 at the age of 61. He was buried at the Salem Field Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York where his parents were interred. Flora later died in 1965.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace William Bertram.