Henry Sutehall Jr

July 23rd, 1886 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Leo.

Henry Sutehall Jr was born in Fulham, Middlesex, England and baptized in Walham Green on August 27th, 1886. He was the first son of Henry Sutehall (born 1863), a plaster, and Sarah Stanton (born 1864), both of Fulham who had married in St John's Church, Walham Green on August 2nd, 1885. One of 5 children, Henry's siblings were: Clara Jane (born 1888), William (born 1890), Ella (born 1896), and Edwin Elmer (born 1902). The family appears on the 1891 British census living at Mayall Road, Brixton, Long. However, on March 16th, 1895 the family boarded the Paris at Southampton, travelling across the Atlantic to make their home in Buffalo, New York. Whilst in that city Henry's 2 younger siblings were born whilst his father continued to pursue his trade as a plaster in their new home, working on some of Buffalo's finest new constructions.

One of these buildings was the cathedral on Delaware Street designed by architect and fellow Titanic passenger Edward Austin Kent. Henry's mother operated the family's corner store at Delaware Avenue at the intersection of Mang Street in Kenmore, a suburb of Buffalo. They appear on the 1910 census residing at East La Salle Avenue, Kenmore, Erie, New York. Henry, called Harry by his family and friends, worked as a "trimmer" installing and repairing upholstery in carriages and early automobiles. It was at his workplace E.E Denniston's in Buffalo, that he met a young Canadian-born man named Howard Albert Irwin (born 1887) who soon became his closest friend. On January 1st, 1910 Henry and Howard embarked on a world tour and travelled throughout the United States during 1910. As Howard recorded in diary only recently recovered from the wreck of the Titanic:

On Jan. 1st, Harry Sutehall and myself started on a trip around the world. Working our way, stopping in all the principalities between Buff & Frisco. From there to Australia, then through the Suez Canal & Med. Sea to England. From there to New York and Buffalo we figure. With luck this trip will take us two years and with bad luck (WELL) we are going anyway.

When they were fortunate enough they found work at their trade as trimmers whilst at other times they worked at any job they could find, even picking peaches in California. In mid-1911, they left the United States for Australia. Finding employment in their profession, they remained there for a time. While in Sydney Henry met a young lady with whom he fell deeply in love. Her name is unknown but Henry's descendants tell the story of his young lady in Australia, whom he had become engaged to. His intentions, according to letters home, were to return eventually to Australia and marry her.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Neither Henry or Howard were wealthy people so it was a 2nd piece of good fortune that Henry won a sweepstake that helped to fund the rest of the tour. Both were also musicians and it's likely that they were able to earn extra money in this way. Henry and Howard parted company when they let Australia but it's believed that they reunited briefly in Durban, South Africa and vowed to meet again in England early in 1912 to conclude the voyage home together.  Henry's movements during the time they were travelling separately are unknown. He eventually arrived in England to spend time with his many relatives that he had previously visited in England in 1907. Howard had arrived in Britain about a week prior awaiting the day Titanic would depart.

Henry boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton on April 10th, 1912 and accompanying him were items of Howard's house. Henry died in the sinking and his body, if recovered, was never identified. In 1993 recovery efforts at the wreck site retrieved a steamer trunk which was taken to France for restoration. After 81 years at the bottom of the ocean Howard's personal possessions were found. Among the trunk's contents were love letters from 21-year-old Pearl Shuttle—a traveling musician—to Howard. Pearl died of pneumonia in October of 1911 and it's possible that Howard had received word of her illness and hastened home leaving some of his belongings with Henry.

Henry's father was appointed by the courts as Administrator of Henry's estate after his death and received $200 in damages from the White Star Line on March 14th, 1916. The family were living in Erie in Erie, New York until the mid-1920's but what became of them thereafter is uncertain. Howard later married Ivy M. Curriston (1893 - 1959) and spent the rest of his life living at different locations around the USA. He died in Haledon, New Jersey on September 23rd, 1953.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Henry Sutehall Jr.