Berthe Mayné

July 21st, 1887 - October 11th, 1962

She is a Cancer.

Bertha Antoine Mayné was born in Brussels, Belgium. She was a cabaret singer who had had a liaison with Fernand de Villiers, a French solider who joined the foreign legion and went off to the Belgian Congo. She sang under the stage name Bella Vielly. One Belgian newspaper, Het Laatste Nieuws, cryptically described her as "being well known in Brussels in circles of pleasure, and was often seen in the company of people who like to wine and dine and enjoy life."

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In the winter of 1911 she met Quigg Baxter while she was performing at a café in Brussels, and the two became lovers. He persuaded her to return to Montréal with aboard Titanic, and for the sake of propriety, installed her in her own 1st class stateroom, C-90, under the pseudonym. "Mrs de Villiers." On the night of the sinking, Quigg rushed her into lifeboat 6 with his mother and sister.

She slipped a long woolen overcoat over her nightdress, but balked when Quigg wanted her to go in the lifeboat without him. She wanted to go back to her cabin to get some jewellery, but Molly Brown talked her out of it.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
After the sinking she stayed in Montréal with the Baxter family, for several months, then returned to Europe and resumed her career as a singer in Paris. She never married. Eventually she retired to a comfortable house in Bercham-Ste-Agathe, a suburb of Brussels. In old age she tried to persuade her nephew that she had been on Titanic when a young Canadian millionaire, but nobody believed her.

After she died on October 11th, 1962, the truth of the story was found in personal clippings, letters, and photographs discovered in a shoebox among her personal belongings.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Berthe Mayné.