George Sweet

April 16th, 1897 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Aries.

George Frederick Sweet was born in Castle Cary, Somerset, England to Joseph Sweet (born 1860), a flax worker, and Anne Chamberlain (born 1862), both natives of Castle Cary who had married in 1880 and who went on to have 10 children, losing one child in their youth. George's siblings were: Alfred (born 1860), William Henry (born 1884), Herbert (born 1887), Emily (1890 - 1898), Elsie (born 1892), Beatrice Eliza (1894 - 1982; later Mrs. Frank Mead), Frank (1900 - 1962), Emily Agnes (1902 - 1934), and Alexander Joseph (1905 - 1987).

George appears on the 1901 census living with his family at Mill Lane in Castle Cary and on the 1911 census at Tor Bay, also in Castle Cary and he was described as a twine factory hand.
Young George soon became employed by Samuel Herman, a farmer and proprietor of the Britania Hotel in Castle Cary. He became part of Samuel's family, consisting of his wife Jane and twin daughters Alice and Kate.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Though a financially comfortable family the past year had been a slump in fortunes for the Hermans and it was decided that they would emigrate. Originally booked aboard a different ship, they cancelled their voyage to allow more time to prepare. Samuel, Jane, Alice, Kate, and George boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton as 2nd class passengers and were bound for Samuel's brother-in-law Arthur Laver who was living in Bernardsville, New Jersey where he worked as a steward of the Somerset Hill Country Club.

On the night of the sinking George, alongside Samuel, saw Jane and her daughters off in one of the lifeboats. George, although not quite 15-years-old, was probably deterred from entering a lifeboat despite his age and he and Samuel died in the sinking together, George being just one day short of his 15th birthday. Their bodies, f recovered, was never identified. Following George's loss, his father died in 1925 but what became of his mother isn't certain. His last known surviving sibling, Alex died in Yeovil, Somerset in 1987.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace George Sweet.