A memorable camping night

Summary: after your best friend opens up about her past, you decide to do something nice for her and it ends up changing the whole dynamic between you two.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: none

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

You barely started training and Natasha already managed to knock you down more times than you can count.

"You're not usually that bad." Joked the redhead, analyzing you as you get up. "You're overthinking again."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." You answered while advancing to attack her. The truth is that you were, in fact, overthinking. But this time you had a reason to be.

A few nights ago, you and Wanda were watching a movie together on the TV room in the compound.

"I've never done that." Wanda said without taking her eyes from the TV. On the scene, a few kids were together around a campfire.

"Really?" You asked looking at her, shock clear in your voice as you remember all the summer camps you've ever gone to as a kid. The brunette giggles lightly and turns to look at you.

"Sokovia was not a friendly country, you know?" She answered with a sad smile. Wanda looks down, as if reminiscing something. Her fingers playing with the rings on her hand. "We were a poor family living in a constant civil war, we didn't have the luxury of going out there camping. And after my parents died... well, it only got worse."

You stayed there looking at her, too shocked to answered. You tried to think of what to say. Something. Anything. But all you could think of was little Wanda in all that nightmare she had to go through. All you wanted to do was hold her, protect her, and never let her go. Your silence of course didn't go unnoticed by the witch, who looked up at you after a while.

Staring at those green eyes that always managed to make you breathless, all you could do was smile tenderly to her. She smiled back, and turned her attention back to the TV. You tried to focus on the movie as well, but your thoughts constantly traveled to the witch next to you and to what she had just confided you. You had to do something about it, she was your best friend after all.

And that's how you spent the last few days planning the best camp you could. You had everything settled and as the minutes went by you felt more and more anxious.

A knock on your lower leg woke you from your memories as you fell with your back on the mat. You open your eyes to see Nat with a playful smirk on her face.

After getting up for what feels like the thousandth time, you hear the gym door opening. Turning to see who's there, you immediately feel your stomach doing backflips as you see Wanda laughing along with Steve.

The witch notices you too shortly after and gives you a shy smile. You smile back and you're pretty sure the heat on your cheeks is not from the training. As you watch Wanda walk away with Steve, you feel a light blow on your belly. You look to your side and see Nat smiling mischievously.

"I should've known." She says while handles you a bottle of water that you gratefully accept. "I have no idea what you're talking about." You answered after taking a long sip.

"Sure, lovesick puppy, whatever you say." Nat answers sarcastically and you can't help but smile. After a short break you go back to training and you try not to think about the witch very much.

-----

It's about 9pm when you knock on Wanda's door.

"Who is it?" The witch asks as soon as you stop knocking. "Your favorite person in the compound?" You answer playfully and hear Wanda's laughter muffled thru the door. The sound making your heart beat a little faster in your chest. "May I come in?"