An Unforgettable Christmas Trip [Christmas Special]

Summary: Being the son of divorced parents, Billy has never experienced a Christmas with his whole family. A whimsical plan may solve not only this wish but also the dormant ones of both his parents.

Pronouns: she/her || Warnings: angst with happy ending

You do NOT have permission to repost or translate my work on any platforms (even with credit)

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

For some, Christmas was not always like those in the movies. For Billy, there was no family gathered around the table, sharing love and gifts; rather, each Christmas was spent in a different place, one time at one mother's house, one time at another.

Not that the boy didn't love his Christmases. In fact, he loved the holiday and he loved his families even more.

But what the boy would really love is the opportunity to spend Christmas with both his parents, together. At least once.

So Billy, with the help of his Uncle Pietro and Aunt Natasha, put into practice his ingenious plan that had everything to work out... Or not.

⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅

"What's up kiddo, how was the last day of school?"

You and Billy walk back to the car side by side, his backpack in your hands while the boy carries some Christmas cards in his with a bit of difficulty.

"It was great." He replies happily as you help him with his seat belt and you smile, "Riri invited me to her house for the weekend."

"Oh, that's nice." You say, getting into the driver's seat and driving back home. "Yeah, but I can't go. I'm going ice skating with Mom and Aunt Jean."

"Aunt Jean, huh? Are they close?" You scold yourself before the question has even finished coming out of your mouth, but it seems that everything to do with Wanda has a way of sending away all your self-control. Even after all these years.

"I think so." The boy replies, distractedly playing with a Darth Vader doll he had left in the car this morning. "But not really, I asked mom if she likes Aunt Jean as she liked you and she said no."

"Is that so?" You ask in amusement, smiling at the boy's innocence. Billy doesn't seem to realize that he has said too much. "Mhm, she said she only liked you like that."

Your heart gives an immediate flip to that information. It has been nine years since you and Wanda divorced and that information is only not surprising to you because you feel the same way.

In your case, you have never been able to love anyone else because your heart has always been Wanda's. You wonder whether it's the same with her, or whether your relationship was traumatic enough to prevent her from trying something with other people. Clearing your throat, you push those thoughts away.

"Okay, that's enough, now. Your mother wouldn't like to know we're talking about her." You say looking at Billy through the rearview mirror, but the boy doesn't even react, his eyes glazed over at the doll in his hands. "What do you want for dinner?"

"Pizza!" The excited shout echoes through the car, his eyes flying up to meet yours through the rearview mirror. "Wow, that was very lively." You comment with a chuckle, "Okay, I guess we can order pizza."

Billy celebrates in the back seat and you smile lovingly at the scene. You continue the quick ride home in silence.

⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅