The stupid sad hat - AU

Summary: Relationships end for many reasons, and it's not always for lack of love. So when your ex-girlfriend has a bad day, your feelings get the best of you and you put all your plans aside to comfort her. Little did you know what would come out of this.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: angst with happy ending

Note: Text in italics are flashbacks

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

When your friends warned you that dating your roommate was a bad idea, you didn't listen to them. Because you and Wanda were completely in love and you would be together for forever, so there was no reason for you to worry about the "don't date your roommate" rule.

But then the relationship ended and everything fell apart.

You were both broken, but you were both too proud to let it show. So you acted as if everything was fine, assuming a state of false happiness whenever the other was around, which happened very often since you had many mutual friends.

And the worst of it all was the reason for the breakup: jealousy. You and Wanda were not in the same program, and with all the exams, papers, and little free time in common, you had almost no time to spend with each other. Meanwhile, you started to get closer to Nat, who was in the same semester as you and with whom you took many classes together. Also, Wanda was getting very close to Jarvis, Tony's cousin, who was in the same program as her.

You always said that you and Nat were just friends and Wanda always said that she and Jarvis were just friends. But the fights continued anyway, more intense and more frequent as time went on.

Until one night you two yell and accuse, and when Wanda storms out of the room, you don't go after her. The weight of the breakup was overwhelming for both of you. For the next few days, Wanda wonders if she should have walked out like that, and you wonder if you should have gone after her. But it was already too late.

You and Nat are still just friends, just like Wanda and Jarvis. You both notice this, but you are also too stubborn to talk about it. So the matter stays buried, and so does your relationship.

So life goes on and you try to distract yourself with other things. You focus on your friends and your studies, but nothing seems to be able to get Wanda out of your mind. But even so, your performance in the university improves considerably, to the point where you are invited to be the editor-in-chief of the university paper. The opportunity would be great for your curriculum and you were very happy about it, but it was impossible to ignore the sadness that settled in your chest when you realized that the first person you wanted to tell about the news was Wanda, but you couldn't do that.

Still, you decided to throw a small party with your friends to celebrate. They were all very excited for you and everything was going well. Until the day of the party.

You walk back from the bathroom and when you enter the dorm room, you freeze for a brief moment.

With her back to you, picking up some books from the desk, Wanda is getting ready for the day and you notice she's wearing a bear woolly hat, brown and with little ears knitted on the top. Her sad hat.

Since before you dated, you began to notice some of Wanda's behaviors, one of them being that she always wears that hat when she is sad. You clench your jaw, cursing yourself for knowing her so well.

When she turns around and her eyes meet yours you swallow dryly, clearing your throat afterwards. She presses her lips together in a simple smile, and you reciprocate in the same way.

Without saying a word, Wanda leaves the room and you take a deep breath, picking up your things and deciding to try not to think too much about Wanda and that stupid hat of hers for the rest of the day.