The haunted house [Halloween Special]

Summary: Moving to a house in the suburbs with your wife and children. What could possibly go wrong?

Pronouns: she/her || Warnings: none

You do NOT have permission to repost or translate my work on any platforms (even with credit)

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

It took you and Wanda some time to save the money to buy your dream house. But you managed, year after year, until the year your boys turned five and you got a promotion at your job - because saving the world was not making your bank account any larger.

The house you found was perfect. Two stories with a long staircase and windows that covered the outside walls, the natural lighting making the construction even more beautiful. The backyard was huge and Wanda was more than excited to extend her garden beyond the small pots hanging in the laundry area of your old apartment.

Billy and Tommy were equally excited, planning all the activities they were going to do in each room and fighting to see who would get the best bedroom - you and Wanda had to intervene in that one. And as for you, you couldn't be happier with the house purchase. But that's only until two months after it.

It started with soft noises on the walls. Noises that seemed to come from nowhere and that ceased the moment you tried to investigate. Although you were a bit worried, you convinced yourself that maybe it had something to do with the pipes and the growing cold temperature that fall started to bring, so you moved on.

But then stuff began to move around the house - furniture, decorative items, and even groceries around the kitchen. And you weren't so chill about it all anymore.

"Maybe you're just tired, honey." Was what Wanda said after you told her one night, her hand running circles around your back after the two of you were seated on the bed. You were sure of what you saw. But you were also sure that, with the working on the house and spending more time in the office due to your promotion, you were indeed tired.

So you just smiled before kissing her goodnight and things got better after that. But not for long.

"What was that?" The redhead asked one afternoon - when you were reading a book while she was sitting on the couch, watching one of those old sitcoms she likes -, her eyes growing wide when she heard a few notes coming from the piano, untouched by the corner.

"It wasn't me." You state the obvious, since you were some good feet away and hadn't moved a muscle after you turned the page ten seconds ago. Your wife was about to brush it off and go back to her show when the loose melody of the random keys began once more.

Her magic lifted the piano lid before you could raise your eyes from the book again - maybe to check if there was a rat responsible for the noise or something, you thought. But there was nothing, and the both of you gasp loudly as the notes start again, with no musician responsible for it.

"What..." Your voice comes out shaky, and before the question can come out fully, the redhead flickers her wrist, chaos magic around her fingers. Your frown of confusion turns to one of disbelief as you see the scarlet energy bringing into the living room a pair that is having a hard time controlling their laughter, even though they look scared of being caught.

"Boys, this isn't funny, your mother was terrified." Wanda tells them seriously, standing up from the couch and crossing her arms in front of her body in that way that makes the boys - and yourself - afraid. "No, I was not." You grumble, but the redhead just glares at you, so you decide to stay quiet.

"Apologize. Now." The woman demands her kids once her eyes land back on them. Billy and Tommy have mixed expressions of apology and embarrassment as they turn on their heels to face you, their eyes finding difficulty in meeting yours.

"I'm sorry, mom."

"It was just a silly prank, we didn't mean to scare you."

The almost sorrowful tone they use makes your chest hurt. During the few weeks that the pranks lasted, you expressed your concerns to your family, warning them to be careful around the house and to let you know if they saw anything strange. The kids always laughed, but you assumed that they just weren't taking you seriously, not that the two little rascals were actually the cause of the strange things.

"It's okay, doves, come here now." You invite them for a hug, smiling when they take no time on doing so, expressing their apologies again as they wrap their arms around your neck. Wanda, with her arms still crossed, smiles lovingly as she shakes her head, making you giggle softly.

"How were you doing that anyways?" You ask with curiosity, and the boys pull away from you to look you in the eye. "I finally got my powers. Not like Tommy. I'm more like mom." Billy is the one who answers, his eyes sparkling with excitement as he makes a cobalt-blue energy dance around his fingers.

"That's so awesome, little dude!" You say as you mess with his hair, making him giggle with rosy cheeks. "But how about you use them for things other than giving your parents a heart attack?" You suggest with a raised eyebrow, and the smaller twin grumbles an agreement as he lowers his hand, the energy ceasing.

Before any of you can say anything else, every piece of furniture in the room starts shaking at once. Everyone's eyes widen as you look around. The kids cling to you for protection - Wanda moving close to protect them as well - and your eyes scan the room for some sign of explanation. Maybe it was an earthquake, you think, but the idea leaves your mind as soon as you notice that only the furniture is moving, not the whole house.

"What was that?" Tommy asks in a tiny voice, his eyes so wide they look like they're going to pop out at any moment. "Billy, I told you to stop it." Wanda says in a reproachful tone, but the boy just shakes his head eagerly. "It wasn't me!"

"Tommy?" You are the one who asks this time, but your other son just shakes his head as well. "I didn't do anything!"

And then, as fast as it had started, the moving of the objects ended, leaving the four of you in complete silence. The boys loosen their grip around your neck, breathing out a sigh of relief, and you take the opportunity to stand up. But before you can tell them everything is okay, a loud banging on the walls echoes through the room, making the two boys scream in fear.

"Run!" Wanda doesn't need to tell them twice, Tommy holding his brother by the hand and disappearing at full speed to hide in their room. You don't have much time to wonder what caused the commotion after that, because your wife's little smirk gives her away.

"It was you, wasn't it?" You ask in a mixed tone of amusement and disbelief, prompting her to let out a giggle. "I had to teach them a lesson." It's the answer the redhead gives you, shrugging her shoulders good-naturedly, and it's your turn to laugh. "You're mean."

"It's called parenting." She hits back with a playful tone, biting back a smile, and you shake your head in amused disapproval. The two of you share a laugh then and, with a mischievous exchange of glances, you decide to postpone telling your children the truth for the time being. 

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

I hope you enjoyed it! Thoughts and comments are always welcome ツ

You can also find me on Tumblr (@abimess) and on AO3 (@abimess)