The bitter, sweet taste of coffee

Summary: Wanda hates coffee, but little did she know the amazing things the bitter drink could bring.

Pronouns: she/her || Warnings: none

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

Wanda had always been a tea person. She hates coffee. In fact, there's nothing in this world that would make the brunette drink coffee. That is, of course, until she met you.

On an undercover mission she and Nat were assigned to, one of the objectives was to find out the exact schedules of a jewelry store and its employees. The reason was that S.H.I.E.L.D. had discovered that there was a secret chemical weapons smuggling scheme going on there and the coffee shop across the street was the perfect place for them to observe the store.

So Nat went inside the coffee shop first and, a few minutes later, Wanda came in and walked up to the counter. The idea was simple: order anything, sit at one of the tables with a good view of the street and watch. The plan was clear and Wanda was 100% focused. Until she wasn't.

She walks up to the counter and the attendant completely destabilizes her. She gets completely lost in you. You and your perfect hair, perfect eyes, perfect smile and the perfect way that you say something to her but she doesn't understand because she was too busy paying attention to all your other perfect features.

You look at her expectantly and Wanda blinks several times, feeling her face burn with embarrassment. "Hun? Oh, Y-yes, sure." She says, managing to stutter out every single letter, and when you smile, she feels like she's going to melt.

"Okay, great!" You say cheerfully and go to prepare something. Wanda swallows dryly, apprehensive that she had accepted something that she has no idea what it is. But soon you return, the same charming smile, and she smiles nervously, accepting the cup you offer her and then paying.

She walks away clumsily and sits down at one of the tables, trying to regain the normal rhythm of her breathing and trying to stop her cheeks from burning. "What the hell was that?" Wanda hears Nat say amusedly over the comms and Wanda sighs irritated and embarrassed. "Shut up."

Wanda takes a sip of her drink and the taste immediately makes her grimace. Coffee. It wasn't as bad as the coffee in the compound. But it's coffee, and therefore it's bad. But Wanda was constantly looking at you, and since you were also looking at her from time to time, Wanda decided to pretend to like the coffee and drink it all.

Needless to say, Wanda's attention was completely divided between you, the mission, and the horrible drink she was forcing herself to ingest.

-----

For the next few days the dynamic was the same.

Wanda would take a deep breath before entering, promising that this time she would keep herself together. When she entered the coffee shop, you would smile at her and she would immediately forget her own name. You would comment on the coffee she ordered the day before and when Wanda smiled and lied saying she liked it, you would smile too and offer her another coffee, saying she would like this one even better.

No need to say that Wanda was unable to deny it. So she always ended up with a different coffee in her hands and having to deal with that bitter, awful taste in her mouth.

"I don't know why I'm saying this because seeing you pull a face every time you take a sip is hilarious." Nat mocks over the comms and Wanda rolls her eyes. "But you need to cut this bullshit and go talk to her." Wanda chokes on her coffee and you, who was cleaning a table close to her, look at her with a worried frown on your face. But when Wanda smiles you smile too and turn your attention back to your chores.

Wanda buries her face in her hands, her whole face burning with shame. "I'm not going to talk to her, I'm just another customer for her." Wanda grumbles and hears Nat laugh through the comms soon after. "I don't know if you've noticed, but she doesn't keep offering other customers the drinks they'll supposedly like best."

Nat says and Wanda risks a quick glance at her. For a second, Nat raises an eyebrow and discreetly tilts her head in your direction. Wanda looks at you and sees you serving some customers.

It's true, you just take their orders without making any further comment. Also, the smile you give them is different from the smile you give her. While with the others your smile is polite and professional, with her it seems sincere and animated, as if you're happy to see her.

Wanda looks away, her head filled with thoughts and insecurities, and she sighs heavily, taking another sip of the damn coffee.

-----

Wanda shakes her hands beside her body and a heavy, shaky sigh escapes her lips before she enters the coffee shop.

"Good afternoon, Wanda, you're early!" You say with your usual smile and Wanda smiles shyly.

After much insistence from Natasha (and the redhead threatening to come talk to you herself) Wanda has built up courage and decided to come early to talk to you.

"Hi, (Y/n)." She says, twirling the rings on her fingers and trying to contain the tremor in her voice. "Can we have a quick word?" she asks, and you immediately frown. "Is everything okay?" You ask with sincere concern and Wanda smiles.

"Yeah, there's just something I want to talk to you about." She explains and you nod, watching her worriedly. You then turn around the counter and stand facing her. You cross your arms, the worried frown still on your face as you signal for her to go on.

"I hate coffee." She speaks at once, looking at you and you laugh confused, "What do you mean? You order coffee every day." You ask and Wanda laughs nervously. "Yeah, but it's only because you offer it to me and I can't say no to you."

At her words you widen your eyes in curiosity, but still look confused. Wanda spins the rings on her fingers even more frantically and takes a deep breath. "You offered me coffee that first time, but the truth is I was so busy thinking that you're so beautiful that I didn't even pay attention to what you're saying. Then you started offering me coffee ever since and I couldn't refuse, because I really like you, you know? And I-"

You hold Wanda's hands, laughing amusedly at her rambling. The moment your hands meet hers, the brunette stops talking. "I really liked you, too." You confess and Wanda's shoulders slump in relief and she smiles broadly.

"And I think I also have something to confess." You say and Wanda frowns in confusion. "I hate coffee too." You whisper and she laughs.

You exchange embarrassed giggles and when Wanda's eyes meet yours they sparkle. But that's okay, because yours sparkle the same way.

"So..." You begin, your cheeks burning a little more under Wanda's expectation-filled gaze. "Can I ask you out sometime? For tea, maybe?" You complete, and Wanda laughs. "Yeah, tea would be great."

You smile, looking at her and Wanda feels her heart jump for joy. Yeah, maybe coffee wasn't that bad after all.