Marry Me - AU

Summary: Today is the wedding day of the love of your life. But she is not marrying you.

Pronouns: she/her || Warnings: childhood friends to lovers, mutual pinning, slow burn, alcohol

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

Present

Today is the worst day of your life. But you can't show it, because today is the happiest day in the life of the person you love. And it's all for the same reason.

-----

Fourteen years ago

You and Wanda are best friends. Since the first day of school you have connected in an inexplicable way and have been inseparable ever since.

Today you're lying on the floor of Wanda's living room watching a romantic comedy movie. You like these movies, but not nearly as much as Wanda likes them. Every time you go to see one of these movies, her eyes are glazed over.

Once you decided to count how many seconds she could go without blinking, but you lost count before she closed her eyes, so you gave up.

But, yeah, she loves those movies. And if there's anything involving marriage, her eyes light up even more.

"I want a perfect wedding someday." She says daydreaming, her gaze locked on some point ahead and you watch her intently. "In a really nice garden. With hanging lights and magnolias all over the ground." She says smiling, gesturing as if those things are there right now and you can't help but smile too.

"And I'm going to wear a crown of butterflies." She adds and you giggle softly. "A crown of butterflies?" You ask and she agrees without hesitation. "A silver crown with several butterflies on it."

"That sounds very nice." You comment and she smiles fondly at you. You say nothing more, and when Wanda's parents call the two of you to dinner, you go. And your mind constantly drifts back to Wanda's wedding with her crown of butterflies.

-----

Eight years ago

It's Steve's birthday and as captain of the football team and the most popular kid in school, you'd expect his party to be... Well, what is.

You didn't even know that Steve knew that many people, much less knew that a house like that could hold that many people. And Steve's house is quite big.

As you walk through the crowd looking for your friends, several guests congratulate you on yesterday's game and you thank them with a shy smile.

Soon you see your friends in a circle on the couches in the living room, and your heart almost stops when you see Wanda. She looks beautiful. You always think she's beautiful, actually. But it's always a different beauty from the day before, as if her beauty reinvents itself every day, or if your brain decides to scramble your memories just so you can get lost in her beauty and make a fool of yourself every time you see her.

It didn't make sense, really. But that doesn't matter either. Because there she is, radiant as ever, and here you are, completely lost in all her features and unable to do anything about it.

"Look, there's the hero of the match!" Steve says when he sees you coming and you laugh shyly. "You're the one who scored the point." You say, hugging him tight and he laughs. "Yeah, but only because you backed me up." He retorts and you smile and wish him a happy birthday. The blond thanks you and hugs you once more.

You hug your friends one by one and save your last greeting for Wanda. "Hi." You say shyly, placing a soft kiss on her cheek and Wanda feels her cheeks warm under your touch. "Hi." She replies with a shy smile and you reciprocate.