Halloween Scare - AU

Summary: during a camping trip with your friends, you decide that scaring your friend (and crush) is a great idea.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: none

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

"Okay, losers, it's time to get everything together."

You, Wanda, Tony, Pietro and Carol look at Natasha, who rubs her hands together as she looks around.

Just like every Halloween, you and your friends have arranged to go camping.

Westview is a small town, there wasn't much to do there. And considering that you went to enough parties during the year, camping in the woods that surround the town seemed like a good idea, especially considering the stories about the place.

Like every small town, Westview had its myths and tales. Being surrounded by a dense forest only contributed to this, so all the residents grow up hearing stories of strange creatures or creepy people living in that area.

So, on yet another Halloween, you and your friends carry your stuff into the forest until you find a suitable spot to set up camp. When you find said spot, a small clearing, you throw your backpacks on the ground, huffing with exhaustion.

"There are six of us, we can organize in pairs." Nat suggests, pointing to the items as she speaks. "One sets up the tents, one prepares the food, and another gathers wood for the fire."

"Okay, boss." Tony mocks, bringing his hand to his forehead in a salute, and you giggle. Nat rolls her eyes, but doesn't say anything about it.

"How do we decide the tasks?" Pietro asks, crossing his arms and leaning his shoulder on a nearby tree. You all exchange looks, thinking about the possibilities.

"Rock-paper-scissors?" Carol suggests unassumingly after a few thoughtful minutes. "Fine by me." You say with a shrug, and once everyone agrees as well, you begin.

A while later you finish assigning the pairs, and you grumble when you find out that you'll have to go gather wood for the bonfire. The only thing that stops you from effectively complaining is your partner, Wanda.

You have had a crush on the redhead for some time now. All your pick up lines or flirting, however, were received with amusement, sometimes with backhanded teasing, but nothing more than that.

You wondered whether Wanda really wanted nothing to do with you or whether she was just playing hard to get. Therefore, you decided it was better not to dwell on the matter, and the flirtations became an (not so) innocent part of your friendship.

"Deciding this on rock-paper-scissors was stupid." You complain a few minutes after the two of you venture into the forest, collecting some twigs that looked good enough to build a fire, and Wanda laughs through her nose. "You're just saying that because you lost."

"Excuse me, Maximoff, you lost too." You retort with a grimace, and Wanda smiles with amusement. "Yeah, and you don't see me complaining, do you?" she teases with her eyebrows raised and you just roll your eyes, grumbling. The redhead laughs but says nothing more and the two of you return to silence.

The sun is about to set, and the change in lighting makes the surrounding shadows squirm in a not very pleasant way. If that weren't enough, this is the time when the insects become louder, the noises around you increasing considerably.

Out of the corner of your eye you see Wanda looking around with slightly wide eyes.

The idea of going camping on Halloween was given by you and Tony a few years ago. Pietro agreed right away, finding the proposal exciting. Carol and Nat were not so keen on the idea, but agreed after a while. The only one who needed real convincing was Wanda.