Abbreviations and misunderstandings - AU

Summary: The principal of your daughter's school calls you and Wanda, but the reason is as unexpected as possible.

Pronouns: she/her || Warnings: none

Notes: plemyannitsa = niece || sestra = sister

Texts in italics are memories.

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

"Ms. Y/l/n, Ms. Maximoff, please have a seat."

You and your wife walk side by side to the armchairs indicated by Ms. Harkness. The principal's office looks the same as it did the last time you went there, when you and Wanda went to enroll Amelia in school.

That day everyone was excited, especially your little girl, and even the principal, who seemed to have a stern expression as her trademark, was flashing smiles all afternoon.

But today it's different. Today Ms. Harkness shifts her gaze between you and your wife seriously, a stern look on her face as she sits on her chair. The moment made you tense, and you see that it affected Wanda as well, cause the redhead is holding the purse strap tightly.

"You see," the principal says, and you pay cautious attention to her every word, "as I mentioned on the phone, something happened during Miss Potts class." The woman informed, rummaging through some papers on her desk for a few moments, and then holding out a piece of paper.

You examine the paper in your hands as you take it. It's a white sheet of paper, a single word written on it. Wanda, who was also looking at the paper, gasps, and you widen your eyes. "What..."

"Amelia wrote this at the end of class and handed it to a friend." The principal tells and you swallow hard, looking at the paper again. It is your daughter's handwriting, you would recognize those crooked strokes anywhere. But that word? Amelia, your little angel, would never write that word.

"Can we see her?" Wanda breaks the awkward silence, and you lift your gaze from the paper soon enough to see Ms. Harkness nods.

A few moments later Miss Potts opens the door, your daughter right by her side. As soon as Amelia sees you and Wanda there, she smiles broadly and runs towards you.

"Mama! Mommy!" The kid greets eagerly as she hugs you both and you giggle softly, hugging her back. But soon she pulls away, and Wanda holds Amelia's hands on hers.

"Dove," The redhead says, concerned, "can you tell us what this is?" She asks, pointing to the paper, and you take the cue to show it to her.

"See you next time!" The girl answers promptly, and all the adults in the room furrow their brows in confusion. "What?" You ask, perplexed.

"Yeah! See you next time!" Amelia repeats, and seeing your still confused expressions, takes her little index finger to the letters written on the paper. "C. u. n. t. See you next time!"

The explanation is innocent, Amelia's tone sounding proud of her work, but you can't help but find the whole situation hilarious and end up laughing through your nose.

"Stop," Wanda warns in a whisper for only you to hear, and you press your lips together, trying to contain yourself. "Darling, this is not what it means," Wanda says, trying to remain calm, but Amelia shakes her head.

"Of course it is, mommy! It's an abbreviation." The girl explains and you and Wanda exchange a knowing look, finally understanding what's going on, your mind going back to last Saturday.

"What are you up to, plemyannitsa?" Pietro asks the kid, who plays focused with some papers and crayons.

You watch the man sit down next to your daughter with a smile on your lips, Wanda sitting by your side on the couch.

"I'm making a drawing for you, uncle Pietro!" The girl announces proudly, showing the drawing to him and the man widens his eyes in exaggerated surprise.

"Wow, really?!" He asks and you smile broadly at the two. When Wanda lays her head on your shoulder, you wrap your arm around her, who snuggles herself against you.

"Yes," Amelia replies to her uncle but keeps her eyes on the paper. "And I'm trying to write 'I love you' too but it's so hard!" She complains, and you feel your wife giggling softly against your chest.

"Oh, but we can fix that!" He says, taking a piece of paper for himself and holding a crayon in his hands. "We can write 'I love you' as ILY," he says as he writes the words on the paper, Ameilia watching him attentively, "it's called abbreviating." The man explains and the girl lets out an amazed "oh".

"She has to learn how to write properly, Pietro." Wanda scolds amusedly, and you smile, being entertained by the scene. "I know, sestra," the man answers, raising his gaze to the redhead, "but abbreviations are important too! We use them all the time."

After that Wanda rolls her eyes, surrendering, and the two of you watch as Pietro spends the rest of the afternoon teaching Amelia about abbreviations.

You clear your throat, focusing again on your surroundings, and are confronted with Mrs. Harkness' questioning look.

"As we can see here, Ms. Harkness, it was all a misunderstanding." You say with a polite giggle, to which the woman responds with a gentle smile. "Of course. Well, since it's almost the end of the last period, I guess we can dismiss Miss Y/l/n-Maximoff early today, right?"

"Right." You say, standing up. Noticing that Wanda is still looking at the piece of paper, almost hypnotized, you touch her shoulder softly. "Come on, dear."

The redhead blinks a few times but stands up too. As she puts the paper inside her purse, you take Amelia in your arms.

"Thank you, Ms. Harkness," Wanda says before turning away, and the principal smiles as a response.

"See you next time." You say to the woman right before closing the door and feel a slap on your arm. "Y/n!" Wanda scolds with an angry gaze, and you smile apologetically, "sorry."

As you walk out of the school, you replay the meeting with the principal in your head, unable to control yourself now.

"Stop laughing!" Wanda says annoyed as she opens the car door. "I'm sorry." You answer as you help Amelia in her child safety seat, still laughing.

"But it is kinda funny though." You say as you sit on the passenger seat and Wanda glares at you before she starts driving. "I'm gonna kill Pietro." She declares, and it's almost like you can feel the fury emanating from her, so you suspect that maybe staying quiet is the smartest choice.

Your suspicions are confirmed when Wanda starts muttering in her mother tongue.

"Am I in trouble?" Amelia's cautious voice sounds a little after, and you turn on your seat so you can face her. "No, sweetheart, you're not." You say as softly as you can, offering her a small smile.

"Your uncle, on the other hand..." Wanda grumbles, and you glance at her briefly, her green, angry eyes locked on the road ahead.

"Why are we leaving school early, then?" The girl asks, still unconvinced, and you ponder for a while. "Well, because we'll need to have a very important conversation." You choose your words carefully, and when your daughter's eyes widen slightly, you add, "no trouble, just talking. Okay, sweetie?"

"Okay..." She mumbles, sounding half-convinced, and you smile encouragingly at her before turning forward again. When you see Wanda driving ahead, you frown.

"Love, you missed the entrance-" Your confused words die when you see Wanda briefly casting you a dangerous warning look, her lips pressed together in anger.

As you settle down on your seat, all there's left for you to do is try to contain your laughter and feel very, very sorry for your brother-in-law.