1 ~ Ruthless Foolery

It always starts the same way—I'm running with an unknown person through a field of sorts. We're holding hands, but I don't know who they are.
The dream is hazy and I can't make out what they look like.

We're running happily, hand in hand, frolicking in the fields until we abruptly stop for some reason.

And then, I wake up...

————————————————————————

"Come on! I know you can do better than that, (Y/n)!" Her mentor scoffed. The mentor's dark blue hair swayed in the wind as her vibrant cyan eyes watched her apprentice duel in the arena below.

(Y/n) skidded across the dirt, exhausted and out of breath, huffing and puffing. But before she could catch her breath, a sharp, purple abomination spike was sent her way, aiming for her head.
Her eyes widened in surprise as she swiftly drew an orange circle with her index finger, casting a defensive spell to create a shield.

In the midst of her quick motion, the abomination spike cut through the sleeve of her orange Hexside uniform.

But luckily, she was able to conjure the shield just in time.

The abomination spike stabbed at the shield, cracking it, but not penetrating it.

Her opponent, a green haired girl, smirked as she watched (Y/n)'s orange shield crack.

"Agh!" (Y/n) grunted as she tried her hardest to keep the shield up. "Fuck," She mumbled under her breath, straining her magic to keep the shield up. Her arm stung, but only a little.

(Y/n)'s opponent was her equal. She was younger, but worked twice as hard. She met her at her level. The green haired girl was sure to win this witches duel.

But (Y/n) wouldn't give up.

Think (Y/n), think! Come on! Ugh! She screamed to herself.

The shield broke, throwing (Y/n) down and sending her tumbling across the floor of the arena.

"Aahgh," She groaned.

The green haired girl casted a magenta circle spell, "Abomination, rise!" She said.

A goopy purple monster rose from a glowing magenta circle on the ground.

(Y/n) gasped, leaping up from the ground and standing in a defensive position.
She pointed her index fingers out and casted a large orange circle spell using both her hands. She summoned a Peryton, a mythical hybrid of a deer and a bird.

The winged deer flew out of the orange circle and stood in front of its owner.

The Peryton's name was Ruth, a name meaning "compassionate friend" from its origins. But right now, Ruth wasn't going to be compassionate towards the green haired girl.

"Abomination, fight!" The green haired girl commanded, throwing her arms forward and sending the abomination on the offensive.

"Ruth!" Was all (Y/n) had to say.

And thus, Ruth charged at the on coming abomination, immediately stabbing its antlers through the purple monster of goop.

The abomination turned to a puddle and the green haired girl promptly began to cower.
Her abomination had been destroyed! That was really her only means of defense.

Ruth took one step towards the cowering girl, the girl stepped back. With every step Ruth took forward, the green haired girl took one back. She backed up until she hit the wall and fell to her bum. Her amber eyes were wide with fear.