28 ~ Going Behind His Back

Oo ee oo a a ting tang walla walla bing bang

———————————————————————

"Hello criminals," Hunter greeted. "What's about to happen should be relatively painless, if you just do what I say."

"And why would we do that?" The human asked in retort.

"Because none of you can use real magic." Hunter shrugged.

"You don't know that!" The Owl Lady interjected, pointing at the armored pair.

"Maybe not, but I do know that you're standing on a plant that eats flesh..." Hunter continued with a smirk.

The Owl Lady and her human looked down at the plant and immediately ran off, "AH!" They jumped and yelled, "Ah! Ow, AtT! Ah!"

Hunter laughed at them. (Y/n) slightly smiled. She didn't want to laugh, but it was kinda funny. "Okay.. The human will remain a sailor to repay all the money she lost while The Owl Lady will be arrested.. again for attacking one of The Emperor's ships." Hunter said.

"Why are you guys hunting the selkidomus? It's a peaceful creature and you're provoking it!" The Owl Lady was angry.

"The Emperor ordered me to slay one in order to prove my loyalty after Lilith's betrayal." (Y/n) finally spoke up. "I really don't want to, but I've gotta follow orders."

"Well I'm just gonna smack you around a bit!" The Owl Lady detached her arm and began swinging it at (Y/n).

The Silver Scout easily dodged her swings, weaving between The Owl Lady's movements. (Y/n) stuck her foot out and tripped The Owl Lady, subduing her in the least violent way she could.

"Leave Eda alone!" The human yelled as she threw fireballs at (Y/n). The Silver Scout dodged the fireballs while The Golden Guard used his staff to throw a wave of sand from the beach up at the human. The human was thrown next to The Owl Lady.

"How about," Hunter used his staff and picked up The Owl Lady and her human on a platform of sand, throwing them above the boiling shoreline. "I leave you dangling over the boiling sea! Around these parts, just the steam is enough to cause third degree burns."

The Owl Lady and the human stared into the water, distraught.

"But I don't have to be that mean." Hunter chuckled, dropping the criminals back onto the black sand. "No one will have to be a sailor or get arrested if one of you follows those selkidomus tracks and slays the beast. Here," Hunter held up his staff, pointing to a cave that the selkidomus retreated into, "I'll help!" He conjured a sharp sword for them.

The human whined.

"Ugh, you're being difficult." The Golden Guard said with a groan, pinching where the bridge of his nose would be on his mask in annoyance. "Go or I drown the bird." Hunter held up the cage that held The Owl Lady's dog. He moved the blanket aside, revealing the sleeping demon.

"Fine." The human gave in, grabbing the sword. "I'll do it."

Both The Owl Lady and her human went into the cave.

(Y/n) and Hunter waited outside. Hunter played with The Owl Lady's dog while (Y/n) sat on the beach anxiously.

"I'm uh, I'm gonna go check on them. Make sure they're killing the thing, okay?" (Y/n) said to Hunter, forcing a smile even though he couldn't see her face.

"Okay." Hunter nodded.

The Silver Scout ran into the cave, finding The Owl Lady jumping into a chasm and swinging on a vine. The Owl Lady had grabbed her human out of mid air and fell into a pile of kelp.

"Welp, looks like I'm going down too." She shrugged, taking Pip out as a staff. "Alright, I got this."

She sat on the palisman and found it was fairly easy to control. All she had to do was maintain her balance and not fall off.

The Silver Scout slowly but surely descended down to where The Owl Lady and her human had landed. The pile of kelp. "I did it!" She cheered when she made contact with the ground.

"Now, your guilt-ridden brain is clouding your judgement." The Owl Lady scolded her student, "There's gotta be away out of this where no one has to get hurt."

"Hi friends, uh-" The Silver Scout made an opening in the pile of kelp.

"What're you doing here?" The Owl Lady asked with suspicion laced in her voice.

"Making sure you don't hurt the selkidomus."

"But I thought Belos ordered you to kill it?" The human raised an eyebrow.

"He did, but I really don't want to. I was the top student of the beastkeeping track at Hexside, I can't just let a beast be killed for no reason."

"So you're gonna go behind The Emperor's back to prove that you won't betray him."

"Yes."

"Aight, sounds good to me." The Owl Lady gave (Y/n) a smile. "What do you suppose we do?" The Owl Lady asked.

The sound of whistling from behind them drew the three's attention. It was a baby selkidomus.

"It's a mother." (Y/n) gasped.

"Eda, do you wanna learn your first glyph?" The human asked.

Hunter waited outside with The Owl Lady's dog.

"You're actually.. weirdly endearing." He told the bone demon.

"Who, me~?" (Y/n) smirked, walking out of the cave.

"AH! (Y)-(Y/n)!" Hunter felt his face heat up. He didn't know why. "No, not you, this thing." Hunter held up the bird cage.

"Aw, am I not endearing to you?"

"You are! You are!" Hunter defended himself and stammered. "Anyways, have the criminals slayed the selkidomus?"

(Y/n) pointed to the cave where The Owl Lady and the human began battling the beast.

A light casted their shadows onto the cave walls, showing their wild fight with the selkidomus.

The human finally slayed it and walked out of the cave, dragging it with her.

"That thing smells awful, why are you touching it with your hands?? Gross." Hunter cringed.

"You're gross!" The human yelled back, "Now give me King."

"Actually, he smells pretty bad too. Take him." Hunter tossed the human the bird cage. "Thank you for your service. You can find your own way home."

"Try to stay out of trouble," (Y/n) said in a cheerful tone.

"The Emperor is not a merciful man." Hunter continued her sentence in a not so cheerful tone as (Y/n) sat on the back of his staff, holding onto him with only her left arm.

"Bye~!" They both sang as they flew away rapidly.

Hunter felt like something was subtly wrong. Like something was missing.

"Since when can you balance without hugging me tightly from behind?" Hunter jokingly asked.

"Why, you want me to?" (Y/n) teased in retort.

"Yes, but that's besides the point."

(Y/n)'s face blushed red quickly, "I uh, I taught myself to balance in the cave with The Owl Lady and the human. It's a lot easier than I thought."

"Yeah, y'know you just find you center of gravity and..."

The pair continued to talk all the way back to the castle.