62 ~ It's Okay

"He liked everything I liked. He loved to watch me carve... he loved playing pretend with me... but most of all, he loved me."

————————————

"Once, I saw Philip- I mean, Belos, use a glyph to teleport to the skull. But... it may take some digging to find it." Luz told Willow as the latter picked up a pair of tweezers.

Willow smiled at Luz, "Remember, Luz. No schemes, no plots, no ruses." She told her.

"And definitely no shenanigans." They said together.

Willow began pulling memories out from Luz's brain. They looked for the one of her trip through the time pools, but it wasn't coming up.

(Y/n) looked around the room, bored, before spotting a space set of tweezers. Curious, she picked them up and dug into her ear, pulling out a random memory.

The memory was as clear as day. It was a simple image of her and Hunter reading together in his bed with their palismen curled up beside them.

(Y/n) smiled sadly at it. She wanted to go back to that time. That time of oblivious bliss with Hunter and their palismen. When they thought they were both making the world a better place.

"I think we found it." Willow said, bringing (Y/n) out of her reminiscence.

Willow pulled an image from Luz's ear and showed it to her. "Woah, it's so clear! We can use this to get to the skull!" She exclaimed.

"Finally." Hunter complained,  standing up, "We can get moving again."

"Before we go, look what I found." Willow said to Hunter, taking the picture of him and Flapjack out of her pocket.

Hunter stared at the picture with a confusing look on his face. Was he sad? Happy? Angry?

"We're all gonna miss Flapjack, but... we know he loved you the most." Gus said to him.

"And we just wanna let you know, we don't care who you're supposed to be. 'cause you are one of us now. Never forget that." Willow told him. She subtly looked to (Y/n) too, silently letting her know that grimwalker or not, she was part of the gang as well.

Hunter stared at the photo and looked up to Willow and Gus. Tears were welled in his eyes.

"Hunter, are you okay?" Luz asked him.

Hunter was silent for a second. "I... don't know." He said.

"Oh, um. I'm sorry..." Willow stepped back, feeling awful. Should've read the room better, she lectured herself. "I didn't mean to make things worse..." her voice quaked as she excused herself from the room and left to the halls.

"I guess this is my fault too." Gus said to Hunter.

Hunter was shocked, "What?? How!?" He exclaimed.

"I've known you were a grimwalker since the Day of Unity. I was waiting for you to bring it up yourself but... I... I- I don't know. Maybe if I weren't so afraid, none of us would be hurting right now." Gus told him. "You too, (Y/n).. I've- I've known."

Hunter wanted to say something, but what? "Gus, I- I-"

"It's okay. You stay here, we'll find Willow." Gus said to Hunter, signaling with his hand for (Y/n) to follow him.

The pair left the photo room and ran after Willow.

"Wait, Gus! (Y/n)!" Hunter called after them, hurrying behind. "Guys! Wait up, please!" He shouted into the halls.

Gus and (Y/n) walked past rows of lockers as they tried to follow Willow. "Do you.. do you smell that, (Y/n)?" Gus asked, slowing down.

(Y/n) took in a whiff of the air. There was an aroma that was unknown to her. It smelled strange. Like essential oils, but sweeter.