43 ~ We Need To Go Deeper

I sit by him for the next few hours, even after he stops breathing.

His blood stains my dress.

The cave feels cold. It feels empty.

I pick him up and carry him out of the cave. His body is cold too.

The sun has begun to set and gold is sprayed across the meadow. But the meadow isn't magical anymore.

Not when he's dead, in my arms.

Why did he have to put that wall up? Why couldn't he have just let me protect him? I'm the one with magic, after all. Stupid Caleb.

———————————————

"You can't deny it now! Belos is trying to hurt people!" Luz exclaimed as she exited the memory.

(Y/n) exited her respective memory at the same time. Her eyes were glassy and red. What had she just watched? How did Belos factor into that memory? Was he Caleb? Was he Philip? He can't be. Belos is a witch.

It made no sense.
She didn't understand at all.

Luz noticed (Y/n) and immediately ran to embrace her, "Cousin (Y/n)!" She exclaimed, "You're okay!"

"Of course I am," (Y/n) giggled, "I said I would be, didn't I?"

Hunter frowned before he heard roaring and screeching. The three of them turned around to see the Inner Belos. The horrible, green monster swiped its claws at them and screamed.

They ran towards a glowing tree. The tree had a face that looked like a moon. It was decorated with glowing stars and crescent shapes.

Luz went into the memory first while Hunter hesitated. (Y/n) stopped next to Hunter with a worried face.

Hunter stared at the horrifying, distorted Inner version of his uncle and froze.

(Y/n) grabbed his hand and tugged him towards the memory.

"Hunter." Luz urged as she held her hand out to him.

Hunter put his free hand into Luz's and let her drag him into the memory. (Y/n) followed him with their hands still linked.

They dropped into the memory with a grunt and the Inner Belos stuck its nose through the memory. It sniffed,

We're dead oh fuck. We're dead. We're so dead.

And then it left. Everyone let out a sigh, relieved until Luz noticed what memory they were in.

"He's got the portal?! Did you know about this?!" Luz yelled.

Before them, was a fancy looking door with a giant, yellow eye in the middle. The door was hooked up to some tubes.

"Of course. I helped rebuild it." Hunter scoffed.

"Did you?" Luz asked.

"Hardly. I barely knew what it did. All I knew was door with funny eye."

"I can hear you." Belos hummed.

The trio heard giggled from behind them. Was it the younger Belos?

They turned around to see a silhouette of a child dancing around the walls.

"You caught me~" The child sang as he danced around the darkened room.

And he began to rhyme,

"To you who stray so far from home,
To me who's trapped beneath these bones...
We'll play forever,
Me and you!
When you paint the land in nine bright hues!"