57 ~ Found You

"You're old enough now..." I say to Mari, a pang in my heart when I recall the memories that have now grown sour. "Let me tell you a story about the Brothers Wittebane."

——————

"Thanks for helping, Gus!" Camila called out from the kitchen.

"Anytime! Good night!" Gus called to Camila as he ran down the stairs, into the basement. "Whoo! We've got a big day ahead of us, so I'm gonna buenas this noche." He said.

Hunter sat at the dest next to Gus' couch, handling the sewing machine he'd been taught to use. He watched the needle bob up and down as he fed it the fabric. "Ow!" He winced as the needle snagged his finger.

"You good? That sounded painful." Gus asked, sitting up from the couch.

Hunter scoffed in dismissal, looking up from the machine,  "I've been training in the Emperor's Coven for as long as I can remember. I think I can handle a little- ....pain...." He mumbled as the needle pierced his finger. His eye twitched as the short shot of adrenaline wore off.

"Oh. That went clean through..." Gus scrunched his face in disgust.

He stood up from the couch almost immediately and ran to grab some bandage tape.

"Camila taught me how to use this sewing contraption. Even Darius's stitches have never been this neat." Hunter said while Gus bandaged his finger "Oh, and look at what I made!" Hunter held up a grey t-shirt, a decal of wolves sewn onto it. "These are mystical beasts called wolves, and I love them."

"That looks great." Gus said with a content smile as Hunter admired his work with pride. "You know, you've been smiling a lot more since we've been here." He noted.

Hunter perked up, "It-It's not like I don't want to return! I just need a way to pass the time. That's all." He hastily waved off any notion that he wanted to stay in the human realm (even though he did).

"No. It's good to see you happy. One of us might as well be..." Gus' content smile dropping, "What was it like to be in the Emperor's Coven for so long?"

"I trained a lot, I studied a lot. I wasn't really allowed to be around the other scouts except for (Y/n). I can see why now," He muttered under his breath. "But weekends were nice. We got to leave the castle for missions."

"Do you miss it?" Gus hesitantly asked, as if he were unsure of whether or not to ask it in the first place.

"I miss knowing who I'm supposed to be..." Hunter slid into his sleeping bag and rolled onto his back to stare at the ceiling. What kind of person doesn't know who they're supposed to be? Why don't I?

"You aren't Caleb. Sure, genetically wise, you're the same person. But otherwise, you're you. You decide what kind of person you'll be." (Y/n)'s words rang in his ears.

Maybe I do know who I'm supposed to be...

Gus mirrored Hunter and looked up to the ceiling, both deep in thought, "I miss my dad." Gus said.

Hunter felt his heart break into pieces. He didn't know what it felt like to have a dad, but he could only image what it felt like to be separated from him. "We'll find a way back. We have to."

Gus immediately perked up, physically shooting up from the couch, "Ohh my Titan! That's a line from this book I found. Cosmic Frontier! It's a story that takes place in the stars." He exclaimed as he reached over the couch to show Hunter a book.

"Why would anyone wanna go up there?" Hunter asked. Space was just a black void, what was so special about it?

Gus shrugged, "I don't know. Humans like spreading their junk everywhere. But it's a story of people trying to get back home, like us."