8 ~ Splashing In A Summer Stream

Why don't I know who you are?

———————————————————————

The sun shone brightly through the window, illuminating the whole room.

"(Y/n)? Knock knock?" Lilith asked through the thick wooden door.

"Hm?" She sat up, bedhead and all.

Lilith opened the door, frowning. "(Y/n), don't tell me you just woke up! It's 3pm already!"

"Huh?! Did I really sleep that long?!"

"Apparently so. Get up already, you're lucky you have today off!" Lilith scolded light heartedly.

(Y/n) got dressed in her masked uniform and wandered outside the castle, deciding to explore her new home.
She found a lovely garden that was neatly cared for, a quiet courtyard and a forest in the back of the castle.

Something moved in (Y/n)'s peripheral vision as she stared at the tall trees of the forest.

"Who's there." She demanded.

It was a young looking fox. The fox had beautiful orange fur and a gorgeously bushy tail. Its orange fur grew to be crimson red towards its leg and- wait. It's not supposed to be red! (Y/n) then noticed the fox was wounded as it began limping away.

"No, wait, come back! You're hurt!" (Y/n) pleaded as if the fox could understand her.

She went after the fox, but the closer she got to the fox, the faster it ran.
Soon, the adrenaline of being chased kicked in and the fox began to full on sprint.

(Y/n) chased the fox further into the forest, eventually ending up at a stream. She gazed at the beautiful sight. A river in the forest.

The river flowed slowly, letting the water glisten in the sunlight.

The fox flopped down beside the river, too tired to run anymore.

(Y/n) approached the orange ball of fluff, sitting down next to it. It tensed as she got closer. "Hey, hey, I won't hurt you." She said, comforting the fox.

Taking a closer look, she noticed the fox's leg was wounded pretty badly. Must've been attacked by another animal.

She drew a circle spell and brought it to the fox's wound, healing it.

"There you go. All better now."

The fox jumped up, cheerfully, and in a flash of orange light, the fox became a wooden staff.

"H-huh?" (Y/n) stuttered as she held the staff

"Is.. that a palisman?" A voice asked.

(Y/n) snapped to face them, alerted. "Oh, it's just you." She let her guard down upon seeing her partner. "What're you doing here?"

"Is that a palisman." He repeated, ignoring her question and taking a seat beside her.

"I think it is..."

"Is it.. yours?"

"I think.. it might be. I just saw a wild fox running around with a hurt leg, so I healed it, and it turned into.. a staff?"

"Well get rid of it. It's dangerous." He scoffed.

"How can this be dangerous? Look at him! He's adorable!" She said, taking the fox off the staff. "I'll name him Foxy!"

"Don't name it!"

The fox ran around, playfully before spotting a bunny and charging after it.
"Aw, he's hunting. Oh, maybe I'll call him Hunter!"

"Ehh, what about a different name.?"

"Oh, now you're open to naming him?" She stared at him.

"I-.. shut up." He pouted, crossing his arms.

(Y/n) grabbed the fox and hugged it tightly, "Oh, Hunter! I love you, I love you, I love you sooo much, Hunter!"

The Golden Guard felt his cheeks dust pink.

"See? What's so dangerous about him?" (Y/n) pet the fox's soft head with her gloved hand.

The Golden Guard turned to face her, his golden mask shining in the sunlight, "That thing is made from wild magic, it's dangerous."

"Does he look dangerous to you?"

Hunter the fox walked up to him, sitting in his lap to take a nap. The Golden Guard felt himself relax and become more at ease.

"I.. guess this one is okay... just. Don't name him Hunter."