23 ~ I Promise

What kind of flowers are these?

—————————————————————

"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

The pair stood at a sign that read,
"The Palistrom Tree Forest of The Toes."

The trees were chopped to stumps, much like that popular movie on the Boiling Isles, The Gorax.

There were no trees. No trees to harvest wood and no trees to return to Belos with.

Hunter felt a chill run down his spine as (Y/n) stood there in despair. Surely this would constitute as a screw up, right?

Shit shit shit. He cursed in his head. His breathing began to quicken. He began to sweat.

"Hey." (Y/n) put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, "It's okay. It's not our fault, he wouldn't punish us." She tried to convince him, even if it wasn't true. She just didn't want him to panic.

Hunter stared at her, taking off his mask and revealing his worried face. "But- he'll-"

"He won't. And I'll make sure he doesn't. Okay?" (Y/n) took her mask off to reveal her face. She had a soft expression that said just how much she cared for him. "I won't let you be alone again. I promise."

(Y/n) took Hunter's hands into her's.

"I promise to stick with you until death do us part." She hugged him, effectively slowing his breathing. 

"Thank you." He hugged her back. He decided he liked hugs. They made him feel warm and comforted. But most of all, they made him feel loved.

And so the pair journeyed back to the castle, riding Ruth this time and getting back within a day's time.

I don't know why we didn't do this the first time. (Y/n) mentally rolled her eyes. Although, we did bond a little more during that journey..

When they arrived back at the stone brick castle, they headed straight to Belos' throne room. The throne room was grand and dark as always, but this time, with them dreading Belos' disappointment, it felt even darker.

"Back so soon?" The Emperor asked as the pair kneeled before him. His golden mask glowed with the warm orange of the torches around the throne room.

"We... couldn't find any Palistrom wood, Emperor Belos. All three forests on the isles have been over harvested and destroyed." (Y/n) explained.

"How unfortunate. I needed some of that wood."

"For what?" (Y/n) asked.

"Stay in your lane, (L/n)." The Emperor replied, making (Y/n) bite her tongue.

"My apologies." She bit her bottom lip. Why did his stern tone make her want to cry? Was it because she was scared of him or embarrassed for herself?

The Emperor sighed, gravely. "Since you two were.. unable to complete your mission, I want you both to accompany Lilith on her's." He stood from his throne. "She's attempting a raid tomorrow morning on The Owl Lady. I want you to be there and help her take The Owl Lady down."

"Understood, Emperor Belos." (Y/n) and Hunter nodded.

She and Hunter stood up and left the throne room, the doors shutting behind them with a slam. They decided to head for Hunter's room to relax in.

Their heels click-clacked against the hard marble floor and Hunter sighed in relief. "He- he didn't punish us. He didn't punish us!" He triumphed.

"Yeah!" (Y/n) cheered alongside him, their cheers echoed through the empty halls of the castle which were only dressed in tapestries of the coven's sigil. "And we got assigned a new mission!"

They arrived at Hunter's cluttered room and took off their masks. The pair shut Hunter's door and (Y/n) jumped onto his bed, flopping down onto his quilted comforter. 

"Can we read again, tonight?" The Silver Scout asked, sitting up from the bed.

"Of course." The Golden Guard warmly smiled as he took a book out form a hidden spot in his nightstand that only he and (Y/n) knew about.

So once again, just like every other night, they sat next to each other on his bed and began to read.

————————————————————

I don't know what it is, but every time I dream of the beautiful meadow, something is always shining more beautifully.

It's (Y/n).

She's more beautiful than the meadow, no doubt. And being with her, running through this meadow is pure bliss.

I never want it to end.
But then I wake up.

———————————————————

The pair were awoken by knocking on the door. The sound of hollow wood being hit filled the room and awoke (Y/n) and Hunter.

Hunter put his whole Golden Guard get up on and answered the door.

Much to his surprise, it was Lilith.

"Golden Guard." She said with apathy and little emotion. "Have you seen your partner? She wasn't in her room and I can't find her."

Lilith looked to the background of his room, glancing at his room's messy decor when she spotted a familiar silver mask in the corner of the room.

"What is that doing in your room." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Where is The Silver Scout." She began to get worried and protective.

"Hey Lilith," (Y/n) sleepily said as she revealed herself with a yawn.

Lilith squinted her eyes in confusion. "Whaaat are you doing in here..?"

"Sorry, fell asleep trying to strategize how we're gonna take down The Owl Lady." (Y/n) lied confidently. Even (Y/n) herself was surprised that she could drum up such an excuse so simply.

"Oh perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for you for. Get ready. We're going to attempt the raid soon."

(Y/n) nodded and got her Silver armor on. She masked herself and followed after Lilith. Hunter followed as well.

"So, what were you and The Golden Brat thinking of doing?" Lilith asked as they approached the grand castle door.

"Hm?" (Y/n) hummed in question.

"What strategies were you thinking of to capture Edalyn?"

(Y/n) began to sweat under her mask. She'd convinced Lilith with her lie, but didn't think she would follow up on it like she did.

"We were thinking, while you and the scouts distract her, we jump her." Hunter said, lying just as confidently as (Y/n) had before.

(Y/n) sighed in relief. Thank you, Hunter. I owe you one.

So the three boarded an airship full of scouts and took off for the edge of Bonesborough—

The Owl House.