12 ~ Crushing Weight Of Paradise

Why don't I recognize you?

————————————————————

"What're all of these books here?" (Y/n) asked, studying his room.

Hunter turned to look at the pile of books stacked on his nightstand. "Just a hobby." He said, vaguely.

"Aaaand that hobby is??"

"Reading." Was all the blonde boy said.

"Oh how cryptic. What do you read about?" She asked, reaching over to the nightstand and grabbing a book. "You like romance novels? Or-"

From Bones To Earth
The book was titled.

"Hey!" Hunter snatched the book away from her, glaring at her like a toddler would.

"Oh, sorry."

"It- ugh. No, it's fine. Just. I'm about to show you something I have never shown to another Witch. Ever. In my life! You'll have to swear you will not tell anyone. Especially Belos. Cross your heart. Do it!" He clutched the book to his chest.

(Y/n) crossed her heart with her finger and nodded.

It's gonna be some real weird shit, ain't it? Some horrendously kinky, smutty shit, huh.

"It's a book about wild magic... I like to read stuff about it."

That couldn't have been further from my guess.

"But isn't that what-"

"-killed my family, yes." Hunter looked away. "But you don't understand, Belos has this condition and- and I read something about using wild magic to cure it!"

"So you're going against The Emperor to help The Emperor." (Y/n) stated with a chuckle.

"Y-yes, but I'm sure he'll understand! I'm just trying to help him."

"That's very kind of you, Hunter." (Y/n) looked to the large stack of wild magic books. "I've never been able to learn about wild magic." She noted.

"Would you.. like to read..? With me?" He asked hesitantly.

(Y/n) eagerly nodded and scooted closer to Hunter. He opened the book and began reading. He read until he couldn't keep his eyes open any longer.

"(Y/n), do you mind if I stop reading and close my eyes?" He quietly asked.

No response was heard. He looked down to see her resting her head on his shoulder, already fast asleep.

Hunter smiled as his cheeks blushed. These past couple of days have been great with her. He'd finally found a friend, someone to talk to and share his interests with.

But what if he slips up again?

His safe haven with (Y/n) would be snatched in a heartbeat.

Belos would turn her to stone and then probably place her statue in the courtyard for Hunter to see everyday, as a reminder!

He would be alone, but worse, (Y/n) would be dead because of him. He would know it was his fault. She would die because he fucked up.

Hunter began to tear up. She had a family somewhere. If she were to die, they would all miss her. If he were to die, surely, no one would miss him.

"I'm sorry, (Y/n)." He whispered.

"Sorry for what?" She whispered back.

"You-you're awake?!"

"I felt you tensing up. What's on your mind?"

Could he tell her? Tell her that her life is basically in his hands? That if he screwed one thing up, she would die?

"Nothing. I'm just overthinking."

"It always feels good to vent. Get that weight off your chest. Wanna talk about it?"

"I'm just.. scared of losing you." He mumbled. "You're my first friend. Really the only good thing I have."

"Don't worry, you won't lose me. I'm your partner. I'll stick by your side until death do us part." She said, her words slurring as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

Hunter was speechless. His cheeks blushed slightly in the dark.

(Y/n) pulled Hunter down, into the bed so that he could lie down and sleep. She wrapped her arms around his torso and embraced him in a hug.

"I see you blushing~" She deliriously giggled.

Hunter shoved his hand over her eyes, getting more giggles from her. He smiled warmly and hugged her back.

"You know, Lilith said you were a brat, but you're rather sweet. To me, at least."

He smiled and slowly wrapped his arms around her.

"Thank you." He whispered. But she was already fast asleep.