Chapter 33 What's a Birthday?

When Steer was beginning to absorb knowledge of letters, languages, and magic like a dried-up sponge absorbing water.

"By the way, Steer, when is your birthday?"(Kuro)

Out of sudden curiosity, I asked Steer about it.

"What's a birthday?"(Steer)

"The day you were born. Steer, you will be five years old soon, so exactly five years from the time of your birth, if we move forward in time, how many days are left?"(Kuro)

"Wait a minute."(Steer)

 Noah-sama, who was reading a book about light magic across the desk from me, also seemed interested and came over to me, closing the book with a bookmark in between.

"It would take a long time for even Steer to count the days from birth to today, Oh, by the way, Kuro, when's your birthday?"(Noah)

"Come to think of it, I don't remember."(Kuro)

"If only Kuro knew where your parents who sold you to the slavers are. You really don't remember where they are?"

"No one can remember when they were a baby, unless they are a special case like Steer or Noah-sama. I was kept by a slaver as long as I can remember."

 I remembered my previous life only a short time before I met Noah-sama.

 It was because I fell from the carriage and hit my head. My memory of the time before that is rather vague.

"I got it."(Steer)

While I was reminiscing in my head, Steer's brain seems to have finished processing.

"As expected, you're fast."(Noah)

"Uhn"(Steer)

"So when is it?"(Kuro)

"Today."(Steer)

"Oh, today?"(Kuro)

"Today? That's..."(Noah)

""Today?""(Kuro)(Noah)

"Uhn. Today."(Steer)

 Silence continues for a while.

"Um, happy birthday!"(Kuro)

"Thank you."(Steer)

"You're five years old. Do you want anything?"(Noah)

"Pancakes."(Steer)

"Kuro, later could you make her a big pile of pancakes."(Noah)

"I'll do my best."(Kuro)

 With that promise, we all returned to our studies and reading.

Only the tick, tick, tick, tick of the clock and the turning of pages can be heard.

"Aren't the two of you under reacting a bit?"(Noah)

"What is it, Ojou?"(Steer)

"What's up with you all of a sudden?"(Kuro)

"No, I mean..., don't most girls at this age get excited about their birthdays?"(Noah)

 I don't know if that's true or not.

"I've lived my whole life without a birthday celebration. ........."(Kuro)

"Is a birthday supposed to be a celebration of joy?"(Steer)

"So you're those kinds of kids. Yes, yes, yes, that's right."(Noah)

 Sighing, Noah closed the book again and stood up.