Chapter 39 - Auger Gift

"It's about time."(Kuro)

 We were all standing in front of the main gate of the mansion.

Soon, a nobleman from the neighboring Diotirio Empire - and Noah's bride - would be coming to visit us. I guess they must have prepared for this kind of hospitality.

"This is unexpected, Noah Marie. I never thought you would take me up on my offer."(Gordon)

This is Count Gordon Tearlight, Noah-sama's father.

 He is the one who brought about this marriage proposal.

"It's no mystery, father. I am aware of the bad situation the kingdom is in. I also share your view that it would be better for us to stay connected with the Empire and join them."(Noah)

"Yes, the kingdom as it is now will be invaded by the Empire in the near future. They are quiet now because of your irregularity, but at least my reputation won't be harmed, if I make you a souvenir for them."(Gordon)

"You're using your daughter to your advantage, father. But fine, I'll go along with your idea this time. It's in our mutual interest."(Noah)

"I don't know what you're up to, but you'll even use yourself to get what you want. I am afraid of you, Noah Marie, even as my own daughter."(Gordon)

"That so? But don't worry, father, if you don't betray me and we continue to maintain this relationship with each other, I will guarantee your safety. How about a good post in the Empire for starters?"(Noah)

"You are a good and filial daughter, indeed!"(Gordon)

"I'm glad to hear you say so."(Noah)

"Ha-ha-ha-ha!"(Gordon)

"Uh-huh-huh-huh."(Noah)

 This is terrifying.

 That's why I don't want to get involved, this parent-child relationship.

 They take advantage of each other and don't even consider their parents as parents or their children as children.

 It's horrible, even for my master and her father.

 Everyone around me is also horrified.

 And as for Noah-sama, she is hardly telling the truth

"You're beautiful to look at, so I'm sure they'll be willing to take you in. You must flatter them properly."(Gordon)

"Don't worry, Father, I'm good at lying and acting."(Noah)

"Noah-sama, it's time for you to stop that evil look, they will be here soon, change your face into a smile."(Kuro)

"Like this?"(Noah)

"No, not like that. Not like that. More like a natural smile."(Kuro)

"Like this?"(Noah)

"Once more. More like a woman who has made no effort in life and has made many mistakes, trying desperately to get on the good side of the opposite sex."(Kuro)

"Like this?"(Noah)

"That's it. Then a stupid man will easily fall for you."(Kuro)

"If I may say so myself, you're quite the schemer in a bad way, Kuro."(Noah)

 Well, I don't care what you think.

 The purpose of us is to use this groom-to-be to find those with a talent for rare magic and draw them out of the empire and into ours.

"Here they come."(Steer)

 Steer's mutter caused everyone to turn around.

 I looked ahead and saw three horse-drawn carriages headed toward me, pulled by two horses each that looked like the ones I had seen on TV at the electronics store when I was a child.