Chapter 34 Golaske

"Uh, Steer? What are you doing?"(Noah)

"Ojou."(Steer)

"What is it?"(Noah)

"Today is my birthday."(Steer)

"Yes, that's right."(Noah)

"And I am celebrating it."(Steer)

"Yeah, that's why we're here."(Noah)

"I want this."(Steer)

"You're kidding, right?"(Noah)

"Is it no good?"(Steer)

".................."(Noah)

 Let me give you some specifics about the doll Steer is holding.

First of all, the color is brown, almost ochre. It would be easier to understand if I say the color is like wood.

On its head is a green grass-like leaf that looks like komatsuna (Japanese mustard spinach).

 It has long, thin hands and root-like legs.

 Above all, the face of a man screaming in despair is depicted at the center of the figure.

 Although the face was only slightly comical, Steer gazed entranced at the doll with a face that would surely make the little ones of the world pee their pants if they saw it at night.

"Well, well, young lady, it seems your sister who knows the value of things!"(Shopkeeper)

"She's not my sister, though. So, what is it?"(Noah)

"That's a mandragora doll that was nearly sold to a few enthusiasts in a small country far to the north, it's famously used in Chinese medicine."(Shopkeeper)(Author-san isn't this supposed to be a magical world, how does she know about China)

"I'm guessing it didn't sell well."(Noah)

Even if it almost sold to a few enthusiasts in a small country, that's already a low sales level that would cause the producer to hang himself to suspend the sale of the product.

"It's amazing, isn't it? The look! I was so impressed when I saw it that they could recreate a mandragora so well with a doll."(Shopkeeper)

"I've never seen a real mandragora, so I can't say for sure, but at the very least, a normal child would scream and cry if presented with something like that. Just like a mandragora".(Noah)

"They say the sound of a mandragora can corrode a person's psyche. I wonder if she senses some kind of sympathy."(Shopkeeper)

Steer, by the way, was already hugging the mandragora doll as if it were her own.

"So, what are you going to do, buy it?"(Shopkeeper)

"Ojou, no?"(Steer)

"No, no, not no, but ........."(Noah)

"Steer, can't it be anything else."(Kuro)

"It has to be this one."(Steer)

"What led you to this?"(Noah)

Steer was showing unprecedented stubbornness, and Noah-sama, who could not just ignore the fact that she had come to buy a gift, finally broke down.

".....Uh. How much is that, old lady?"(Noah)

"Thank you for your patronage. In honor of that young girl with a lot of sense and a lot of potential. And yes adding the little bit of research I've done...It's about this much."(Shopkeeper)

"Hey, did you study it properly? It's higher than I thought it would be. (Noah)

"Don't be absurd, my lodging for the night depends on whether or not I can sell this."(Shopkeeper)