Happy Birthday Baby

Addison POV

Chloe released from the hug and looked at mom once again, full eye contact. 

Chloe inhaled deeply, as she did you could see a little studder within her breath. "The reason I treated you the way I did was because I was trying to protect myself". Looking at Mom, she looked confused and hurt all at the same time. The discomfort was visible by the shifting she was doing on the couch. Luckily our principal was there by her side to comfort her. Principle Violet gave her a reinsuring squeeze.

"I was scared to let you in, because I thought you'd leave " Chloe turned and looked at everyone. "All of you, and I didn't want to lose you the most Addison" She said as she looked at me. We stared at each other for a minute before we both broke out into tears. I looked around, and just like Chloe and I, everyone was crying. I guess it was the sight of Chloe and I finally, and truly letting our feelings out. Instead of getting up and giving her a hug I gave her a grateful nod, she reciprocated. Chloe and I have known each other for so long that we known when its time for a hug and when its just time for listening. 

This was that time, it is her time to shine

I gestured wiping my face so that she could get the hint to do the same. As she wiped her face she walked towards Adam. "Adam I'm sorry that I didn't call you as much as I should have". The blonde choked up a little. Everyone knew Adam and Chloe had a special bond. Yeah, Chloe and I are close but Adam was one of the only people she could truly relate to because of her condition and most of her advice was given to her by Adam. Adam never judged Chloe and because of that it made them close and sometimes inseparable. 

"You were the brother I never had but needed. You were always there whenever I needed help with D-Bag here" She said as she gestured to her friend below. Her and Adam both giggled at her nick name. Chloe caught Adam off-guard and ingulfed him in a big hug. "I love you and thank you for not giving up on me and being the family and brother I needed". Adam held onto Chloe like his life depended on it. Every piece of pain, joy, sadness was released as she hugged Adam. Kaylee was a safe space for Chloe but Adam is as well. 

Chloe finally composed herself and let Adam sit down. She took a deep breathe and continued. " Janet... Mom" Chloe paused to look directly in our mothers eyes. "I am sorry". Chloe's eyes retreated to her feet once she saw our mom get up from her seat. She walked right in front of Chloe causing the blonde to shrink in her spot. I guess Chloe was expecting our mom to hit her because she closed her eyes and tensed. Chloe didn't have an amazing childhood growing up before living with us. Little movements can trigger her to become smaller within herself. 

Mom pulled her into a big hug and kissed her on top of her head. "Babygirl, I love you to death. You became mine once you walked into my home. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you before, but I'm here now, and I am not going anywhere". Before mom continued she fell to her knees causing Chloe to cry. Chloe looked up at everyone who was watching, her eyes were like a deer in headlights. She didn't know what to do. "Chloe I've been waiting for the day you called me mom, and today couldn't be any better than what it is now because it isn't only your birthday but it's the day my daughter finally found her mother". 

Mom turned towards miss violet and held her handout. Principle Violet grabbed a yellow manila folder behind her back and gave it to mom. Everyone but Chloe knew what was in there, so as everyone waited in anticipation Chloe looked scared. "Honey, what I'm about to say is going to be sad but it will also make you happy" As mom spoke she gave Chloe the adoption paper. While Chloe read the paper mom continued to talk. "I went to go talk with your biological mother about adopting you, since she is your only parent still alive. She allowed me to adopt you as my own. I also talked her into letting you see your baby brother from time to time. She does understand that she wasn't the mother you needed, but she said she is happy you have a family that loves you, and she wanted me to apologize for her.  She knows that she will never have that connection with you that you have with us." Mom stood up and took ahold of Chloe's hands.