Chapter 57 ➼ 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒢𝑜𝓈𝓅𝑒𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝒥𝑜𝓈𝑒𝓅𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒

𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒻𝒾𝒻𝓉𝓎 𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 ➼ 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝓈𝓅𝑒𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝒿𝑜𝓈𝑒𝓅𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒

𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒻𝒾𝒻𝓉𝓎 𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝓈𝓅𝑒𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝒿𝑜𝓈𝑒𝓅𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒

PERCHED ON THE BACK OF THE bike, Angelina clings to Roan's shoulders as he closes in on Xavier. The man was smart and he knew the area, Angelina would give him that. For days now, the man would lead them into trap after trap. But they always found him again.

Roan grips the clutch tighter, hitting the gas petal harder as Angelina stands up. Her magic begins to build as Xavier ducks in between trees where the bikes won't reach.

Angelina jumps off the bike as Roan skids to a stop with the rest of their group right behind him. Angelina groans, pinching her nose as Diyoza abandons her bike and Octavia gives the controls over to Raen. The three women slip between the wooden weaves as Roan and Raen attempt to find another route to Xavier.

"Damn it! I had him!" Angelina huffs as her legs break out into a sprint.

"Did you?" Diyoza scoffs. "Because from what I've seen you should have been able to fry him! He lead us here so we'd have to go on foot!"

"I'd like to fry you right about now!" Angelina yells at Diyoza, her arms singed black as her magic builds.

"So we're doing what he wants!?" Octavia huffs, pushing herself past Angelina as she eyes Xavier running along the top of a ditch close to the tree line. The man had layered himself in gear to camouflage himself.

"It's that or he gets away and I don't get his leader, and my baby doesn't get into Sanctum," Diyoza huffs, cradling her pregnant belly as she lags behind the two women. "Yes, so for now we're doing what he wants."

Xavier drops down from the ditch to run between a pair of trees and across a layer of leaves shielding the ground beneath him. Once he crosses he turns, a handgun aimed for Octavia.

The three women pause, their hands held up. All beside Angelina, who's magic stays trained on the man. Diyoza follows the girl's lead, wiping out her hand gun. Octavia's sword held above her head. It was then that Angelina notices how soft the ground was beneath her feet. She watches as her boots slide beneath the leaves that lie on top of the mud.

"What the hell is this stuff?" Diyoza voices, watching as her boots submerge in the ground. Octavia fights, wrenching her foot backwards to no use.

"We'll it the crucible," Xavier speaks. "The harder you fight, the faster you die." Xavier eyes the three women and once Angelina looks down to her feet again, Xavier bolts.

Angelina snaps her head up, finding the man's back growing smaller and smaller as he gets away for the fifth time. Angelina lets a screech fall from between her teeth, a dark cloud expanding from the girl's body.