Prologue

Euphoria stifled a yawn, tapping her tail impatiently on the damp rainforest floor. Her egg was hatching soon, and it's father wasn't there to watch it. 

Coyote had promised to come to the rainforest at night, and she had promised to bring their egg. Her tribe, the Rainwings, didn't notice that her egg had a sandy color instead of the normal gradient shades of a Rainwing egg. Which was better. 

But when was Coyote coming? It was almost midnight, and her egg was trembling, ready to hatch. It was warm, which didn't help with Euphoria's tiredness. She should be asleep by now!

Just as the purple-pink Rainwing was turning around, ready to go back, a dusty yellow dragon crashed through the undergrowth.

"Euphoria!" The Sandwing yelped. She turned around, changing into a delighted bright pink.

"Coyote! What took you so long? The moons are up, and I'm tired!" She scolded. "Our egg is hatching!" Sure enough, the sandy golden egg was rocking back and forth, and a crack had appeared in the hard shell.

"Quick! Set it down on the nest!" Euphoria's mate cried. She quickly set it down on a bed of soft ferns. Suddenly, the egg tilted and landed on its side. The crack became bigger, until finally, it cracked open in half. 

A small dragonet with beautiful turquoise and navy scales tumbled out of the egg. She- yes, she- had startling green eyes, shimmering and glittering. Flecks of silver dotted the dragonet's underwings, like a Nightwing. A deadly tail barb glinted in the moonlight, also a pretty shade of blue and green. 

"She's beautiful," Coyote breathed. Euphoria nodded silently in agreement. After a while, her jaws parted in a yawn, and the Rainwing blinked her eyes sleepily.

"I better go get some sleep. Bromeliad's gonna kill me if she finds out I'm too tired to go fruit-gathering with her," Euphoria said. Coyote twined his tail with hers.

"Okay," He rumbled. "Take our dragonet with you. Hide her tail-barb!" Euphoria flapped her wings, and set off towards the Rainwing village. She paused for a moment.

"Bye!" She called. Coyote waved a talon. 

"What do we name her?" He asked. Euphoria thought for a moment.

"Jasmin. Her name is Jasmin."