Chapter 5

Kinkajou peered at Moon.

"You look way healthier than the other Nightwings," She observed. "You don't have that raspy voice, and it looks like you had enough to eat."

Moon nodded nervously. "My mother hid my egg in the rainforest, and I learned how to find fruit." She explained. Mirage nodded slowly. The Nightwing was okay; she wasn't like the others; No superior-than-the-others tone, or the haughty lift of their heads. 

Moon had black and green scales, with hints of blue. Her eyes were a dark green Mirage hadn't seen on Nightwings. Two big silver scales that looked like teardrops were next to her eyes, as if they were tears half falling. She looked nervous and looked like she was listening intently at something. 

Moon didn't look threatening, but Mirage could see strong muscles rippling the small Nightwing's body. Her talons were sharp and strong-looking, and she was probably an excellent hunter. 

She would be quite an opponent if she was Mirage's target. But she could just shut the Nightwing's mouth to stop fire, and choke her to death. That was how Mirage hunted her targets; quick and clean, no evidence that she killed them. She could just stuff a piece of fruit down the dead body's throat and say they died by choking on it.

Mirage killed dragons, dragons who hired her gave her a fair price. Once, a Sandwing in the Scorpion Den only gave her a scrawny lizard after she killed a general in Burn's army. 

That Sandwing did not get a happy end.

But Moon might be okay, since she didn't seem like one who Mirage's payer would pay to get her killed. They could be friends. 

Kinkajou was looking at the hybrid expectantly.

"I'm Mirage." She said reluctantly. Kinkajou clapped her talons together in delight, and Moon gave her a weak smile.

And suddenly, the Nightwing dragonet crumpled to the ground, clutching her head in pain.