Chapter 46

Jasmin peered at the Banyan Tree. It was almost all frozen, except for a rough circle on the ground. The frost had melted halfway, into a muddy puddle of snow. Jasmin examined the circle carefully.

"Something blocked the spray of frostbreath," She noted. Winter's blue eyes were wide with shock. "Or...someone."

The hybrid walked over to the roots of the huge tree. They were almost as big as a dragon.

"I found what blocked the spray," Winter announced. He dragged a bundle of black scales out of the roots. "A NightWing."

Flashes of silver twinkled as the dead NightWing's stiff wings flapped about. Moon shuddered, and Qibli rested a calm wing on her shoulder. Jasmin frowned at the body.

"Wait a minute..." She poked at the cold scales. Blue frost had spread throughout the NightWing's corpse, but as she felt between its scales, Jasmin realized an important clue. "This dragon was dead for only a few moments. So Icicle must be close by."

"Really?" Glory scratched her chin thoughtfully.

"Yep," Jasmin nodded. "I have experience myself. Not that I died from another dragon. The opposite, actually."

Moon's face paled. 

"So Icicle's in this rainforest right now?" Winter growled. 

"And just killed a random NightWing?" Qibli interfered. 

"Yep." She repeated. Glory sighed. Moon scrunched up her snout, and Jasmin flared her wings out.

"We should get back to the village," She called out. "And report what happened." 

"The NightWings and so going to set their heads on fire," Qibli said. "No, wait, they're going to set the closest IceWing's head on fire. Winter, I hope your skull's as thick as it seems."

"I'm hoping it is," Jasmin snorted, and followed quickly as Glory lifted off into the dark forest.