Chapter 22

"Hey, Clay! You know the rules. No running in the halls!" Tsunami roared, blocking their way. "And you're letting the students run with you! Not the best role model."

"Tsunami, Mirage was injured and we need to get to the healers real quick!" Clay explained. Mirage opened her eyes with a groan, then closed them again, breathing slower and shallower. Tsunami turned pale, then moved out of the way.

"GO FASTER!" She roared. "I will not have another dead student in this school!" 

Qibli put a comforting wing around Moon, and she thanked him with a blink. Kinkajou ran at top speed to the hospital wing with Clay on her tail. 

Finally, the winglet arrived at the cave. They set her down on a bed and the healers shooed them away. They treated the half-dead Sandwing and finally, when it was dark, they announced that she would live.

"Thank the moons," Moon breathed. Winter let out a breath he was holding, and Kinkajou and Turtle sighed with relief. Qibli nodded in agreement. 

Mirage was going to be fine.

Mirage blinked open her eyes and they met Moon's dark green ones. The silver scales under the Nightwing's shone in the sunlight.

"How long was I out for?" Mirage asked. 

"Um, five days," Moon replied. 

"WHAT?" The hybrid made to jump out of the bed, then immediately stopped, wincing at the pain. Then she looked down and saw that, from the gaps that weren't covered in bandages or ointment, her scales were a shade of turquoise, navy, and purple. Flecks of silver shone here and there.

"Oop," She looked up at Moon.

"I already knew," She said softly. "I couldn't tell you my secret since you were knocked out, and the others didn't take it in very well."

"I have a lot to tell you. Secrets. My secrets."