Chapter 9

Mirage stared at the tiny creature. What was a scavenger doing in the prey center? She didn't think the Dragonets would give them to eat, so who brought it? Moon was clutching it close to her chest, protecting it.

Suddenly, the crowd parted and an angry-looking Icewing stomped in front of her.

"You have ten seconds to give me Bandit," He growled. "Or you can have your face freeze off."

"No," Moon whispered. Mirage looked at her, surprised. She had expected the Nightwing to give it back.

"Then I'll freeze your horns and snap them off," The Icewing hissed. "Then freeze your tail, snap then off. Freeze your talons, snap them off. Shall I continue?"

"No," Moon repeated, more firmly. "You can't eat the scavenger. No one can."

He looked taken aback for a second, then said, "I also think that. But he's mine. My idiot clawmate set him free, and he ran here."

Suddenly, a friendly looking Sandwing pushed his way towards the two fighting dragons.

"Hi, I'm the idiot clawmate, but most dragons call me Qibli," He introduced. "That's my clawmate Winter. Hey, Winter, chill. Ha, I know right? I'm hilarious. But he's right, you know. That's his pet, and maybe you can get something else to eat?"

Moon blinked. 

"I wasn't going to eat him," She whispered.

"Yeah, Igloo-face," Mirage snapped at Winter. "No need to shout at her." Winter frowned at the hybrid.

"What did you say?" He demanded. Mirage sighed.

"I said," She repeated slowly, as if explaining something to a baby dragonet. "Yeah, Igloo-face, no need to shout at her."

"How dare you? I'm Prince Winter, nephew to Queen Glacier. My sister is the heir to the throne!" He roared. Mirage sighed again. 

It was going to be a long fight.