Chapter 26

Mirage woke up with a sigh. Her whole body was aching from burns and scratches, since the effects of the ointment was fading off. She didn't think that the smell of smoke would leave her snout.

"Moon? Kinkajou?" She whispered. Moon was mumbling in her sleep again, and Kinkajou was flopping out of her hammock. Mirage stretched, and stalked out of their cave, limping slightly.

"Hi, Mirage!" Sunny said as she passed. "Glad to see you awake!"

"Awake too early," Mirage groaned. "It's only dawn; I really need to fix my habit." 

"I guess Sandwings wake up early," Sunny smiled. "Half-Sandwing, anyways."

Mirage had a strange feeling. Sunny was also a Sandwing hybrid, and she could trust the golden dragon.

"Sunny, I need to talk to you about something. In private," She added. Sunny tilted her head curiously at Mirage, then nodded and led her to her cave. 

"Okay, so what do you need to talk about?" She prompted. 

"Um, I'm actually a hybrid. Sandwing-Rainwing." Mirage confessed. She shifted back into her normal form. "And an assassin."

"Wow," Sunny breathed. "Tsunami told me that you were an assassin, but I'd never guess that you were a hybrid. Does anyone else know?"

"Only my mother and Moonwatcher." Mirage said. "And Coyote. Used to, anyways."

She remembered the awful memory of Deathbringer telling her that her own father was dead, killed by the Nightwings. And now they were living in the rainforest alongside the Rainwings. Angry scarlet streaks appeared on her ruff, blue creeping onto her wingtips.

"Oh. Is he..." Sunny trailed off. "Anyways, who can I tell?"

"No one," Mirage stamped out the colors on her scales, switching back to her Sandwing form. "Not ever, unless I tell them." 

"Okay." Sunny nodded. "Oh, and Mirage? If you need help, or someone to talk to, you can always come to me."

Mirage met the little Sandwing's green eyes. "Alright."

She walked out of the office, not able to contain the yellow relief that creeped onto her wings.