Chapter 34

"He's near!" Moon gasped. Mirage was soared through the air, scanning for signs of Winter's bright, glimmering scales. A flash of silver caught her eye, and she saw where Moon was pointing. 

"Winter!" Kinkajou landed next to him and unfurled her wings to hug him. The IceWing was murmuring something to Bandit, and pushed the RainWing away when she reached out.

"Why are you here?" He demanded.

"To help you," Moon landed with a soft thump, and Qibli touched down next to her. 

"Really?" Winter looked furious. Mirage dived down just behind him. The IceWing jumped, startled.

"No, we came out in this rain and risked getting hit by lightning just to scare you," She rolled her eyes.

"Exactly!" Turtle gasped as he collapsed besides her, panting for air. "We could have died!"

"You really need to exercise more," Mirage said pointedly, raising an eyebrow at him. "It wasn't even a long flight."

"No, you don't need- I don't need you to help me," Winter interrupted. "I'm going to Queen Glacier's palace for reinforcements."

"You should try to find Icicle, not get help from a kingdom mountains away," Qibli pointed out. 

"Try the rainforest first," Moon suggested. "She might have gone there to kill Glory, and if you want help, the Ice Kingdom isn't far away."

Winter glared at them, and Mirage could almost see the red fury bubbling inside him. 

"I don't need help!" He roared. "And you, GET OUT OF HERE!"

He lunged at Bandit, and the scavenger yelped out in fright and scurried away as fast as it could. Moon stared in pity after it, and Mirage turned to face Winter.

"We're coming whether you like it or not," She growled. A gasp of pain sounded from behind the hybrid. She whirled around to find Moon crumpling to the ground, with Kinkajou catching her before the NightWing could hit the ground. 

Moon made a strange noise, and a faraway, pained look showed in her eyes. Mirage rushed over to her friend, careful not to touch anyone, and crouched besides her. Then Moon started speaking in a voice nothing like her own:

Beware the darkness of dragons,

Beware the stalker of dreams,

Beware the talons of power and fire,

Beware one who is not what she seems.

Something is coming to shake the earth,

Something is coming to scorch the ground,

Jade Mountain will fall beneath thunder and ice,

Unless...the lost city...of night can be...found.