Chapter 51

Jasmin frowned as a wave of heat rushed into her snout. The tunnel's end had neared, and it was getting hotter and hotter as they proceeded forward. 

"Woah," She looked around as they all climbed out. "Nice."

"Not very." Winter sniffed. Jasmin shot him an amused smile.

"Kinkajou, are you okay?" Moon asked suddenly. The little RainWing had turned lime green, gray, blue, and all sorts of nervous or frightened colors. She had also stopped moving too much, which Jasmin found very worrying.

"I'm fine," Kinkajou vanished for a second, then reappeared. Her wings were still slightly ruffled.

"You too?" Jasmin asked. "Me too."

"Oh," Qibli said suddenly. "You both are one of the RainWings the NightWings tested on, right? I've heard of it, but..."

"Not me." She scooted away. "Kinkajou did. I just had my- I knew someone who experienced something similar."

Jasmin remembered the terrible memory, listening to Deathbringer tell her about her own father's death. A tragic death.

Your fault, your fault, your fault, The hybrid's mind whispered. Coyote was caught trying to see you, remember? All your fault...

Jasmin shook her head, clearing her brain. "Anyways. Kinkajou, you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah. Totally." The RainWing started forward again. Winter gave Kinkajou an odd look, frowning. 

"We need to try find Icicle," He squinted at a faraway river of lava, as if he was trying to find any hint of shining silver scales. 

"This smoke is just, wow." Qibli tried to wave away the smoke. "Wow."

"Kind of cool," Jasmin started to say, but a cough shook away the words. "Never mind. Nope, not at all."

Just then, a glimmer of pale, icy blue caught her sharp eye. She opened her mouth to warn the others, but the hybrid saw where the ice dragon was headed for.

"Look out!" She hissed, leaping at Kinkajou. The dragonet shrieked in surprise, but Jasmin threw her aside with ease.

"What are you doing?" Moon started to cry, but stopped. Jasmin whipped around to find Icicle growling, sharp claws outstretched. Jasmin lunged at the IceWing, dodging her attacks, and grappled her down. Soon, Icicle was struggling underneath her, the hybrids strong talons at her neck.

"One wrong move and you're dead." Jasmin snarled. "You know what'll happen."