Chapter 66

Jasmin followed Peril, Scarlet, and the strange gold-covered SkyWing all the way through the Sky Kingdom. They flew as if they didn't care whether someone saw them or not. Just...flying like any other dragon. 

Scarlet approached Queen Ruby's palace first, followed closely by the other SkyWing. Peril hesitated, then flew slowly towards them. Two guards were guarding the entrance, and they hissed at Scarlet. But when Peril reached out with her non-burning talons, they let out screams of fright and flew out of sight. 

That was when Jasmin realized something was wrong. Peril wanted to change.

She wanted other dragons to know she wouldn't hurt them. She didn't want to be judged by her scales. 

She didn't want to use them. 

Oh no, Jasmin thought desperately. Peril's under a spell!

She wanted to warn Peril, tell her to take off the necklace. Maybe burn it once she took it off. But how had Jasmin not know? That explained why she was helping Scarlet. Jasmin should stop this. 

But how? Her winglet hated her, Glory had enough to think about with Icicle to take care of, Queen Thorn didn't even know her name, and Coyote was dead. No one wanted her anymore. They didn't care about her. Jasmin certainly didn't care about them.

...Actually, she did, but that didn't matter. All she needed was a place to take a break. She'd been stuck in the rainforest by force. Not the greatest place to be at the moment. 

The NightWing Kingdom? Jasmin didn't think for a second before saying no to that idea. 

The Scorpion Den didn't seem very appealing at the moment. 

Jasmin thought of the Ice Kingdom. No. It was too cold. But what about...somewhere between the Ice Kingdom and the Kingdom of Sand?

That was where Jasmin would go. The one place she actually felt happy. Carefree. With a friend. 

 When the three SkyWings entered the huge wooden doors, Jasmin cast one despairing look at Peril, then flew off as fast as she could to the place where Jerboa lived.