Chapter 24

"What do I say to Winter?" Moon asked. "He thinks I killed Carnelian and Bigtail."

Moon had just finished explaining what had happened while Mirage was out cold, and asking for suggestions.

"You could say you did," Mirage replied. Moon made a face, and she gave a short bark of laughter.

"Ha! I was just kidding!" Mirage said quickly. "Three moons, your face was priceless! But you could tell Igloo-face the truth." 

"You really need to call Winter something else," Moon commented. 

"Like what? His Royal Majesty? No thank you," Mirage rolled her eyes. "I'd rather kill him."

"Do you mean metaphorically, or are you serious right now? You're an assassin, you might be saying the truth right now," The Nightwing blinked. 

"Both."

The two dragonets talked and laughed for a bit more, then headed out of their cave. When they were walking out of the hallway, they came face to face with Qibli.

"Don't," He said quickly. "I'm not ready right now."

"For what?" Mirage snorted. "It's not going to kill you to hang out with a mind reader, you know."

"Mirage!" His face lit up. "You're awake!"

"'Course," Mirage ducked as the Sandwing reached out a wing. "Why shouldn't I be?"

"Um. Maybe because you were out for five days?" Qibli informed. 

"But maybe it wouldn't harm you to visit a knocked out friend even after you had a quarrel with me," Moon suggested. 

"Oh," He blinked at her, startled at her ferociousness. "I tried, but you..."

Because Moon was there, Mirage guessed. Moon looked taken aback for a second, then sighed.

"I can't help the way I am," She murmured. "I was just born that way. I wasn't going to tell anyone because Secretkeeper said everyone would hate me. And she's right. Except for you," Moon added quickly, casting a grateful glance at Mirage.

"Hey, I was going to help you right now," Qibli looked hurt for a second. "Don't you see how important your powers are right now? You can just hear for a dragon to say, 'Tralala, here I come, the almighty one who killed Carnelian and Bigtail and injured Tamarin. Aren't I so smart', and there! You got them."

Mirage nodded slowly. Qibli was right.

Moon could be the key to finding the murderer.