Chapter 59

After a quick swim in the river to wash off the blood, Jasmin was ready to listen to what happened while she was stuck in the rainforest. 

"So," She said slowly. "You didn't kill whoever that NightWing was. And Winter's gone. And Kinkajou's almost dead. And Peril's left."

"Um. Yes." Qibli blinked.

"Why didn't you stop her?" Jasmin groaned. Though Qibli, Turtle, and Moon were here friend, they could be SO STUPID sometimes. "Peril's great! And fun! And you chased her off?"

"No," Turtle interrupted unexpectedly. "She told me to stay here with Kin- everyone. She left on her own account."

"But from what I hear, you weren't exactly welcome." She raised an eyebrow at them accusingly. "And what about Winter? We need to wait for him, right?"

"Well, he seemed very determined to leave," Qibli sighed. "We've decided to go without him. It's been a week already, and he isn't here."

"But he might come back!" Moon argued. "He will come back. He has to."

To Jasmin, it sounded like the NightWing was trying to convince herself. 

"His own fault for being a stubborn camel," She shrugged. "I feel like I should feel more sad."

Everyone agreed reluctantly after a while of arguing. 

"So we just leave Kinkajou here?" Turtle asked. 

"She's in safe talons," Qibli assured him. Jasmin flared her wings, ready to fly off to the Sky Kingdom. They had all agreed to try and find Scarlet in SkyWing territory, and hopefully find Peril or Winter on the way across the River. 

"Wait. So we just leave this SandWing here?" Qibli asked.

"Um. Yes?" Jasmin shrugged. "Unless you want to drag a dead body along. Which I don't want."

"Okay..." Turtle looked dubiously at Barb's bloody corpse. Jasmin realized that, however many times she'd told them, it was their first time seeing her actually killing another dragon.

"Let's stop wasting time and just get Scarlet already." She flicked her tail crossly, then lifted off in the sky, with the sun blazing ahead.