Chapter 38

"I forgot how humid it was here," Jasmin grumbled. Her scales were an irritated red, with streaks of orange on her ruff. "How did I survive?"

"I think the rainforest is awesome," Kinkajou said loyally, flaring out her yellow wings and accidentally whacking Winter, who was behind them.

"Watch it," He growled. Jasmin could tell that the IceWing was finding it hard to cope with the heat and insects.

"You must hate it here," Moon echoed her thoughts. Winter snapped his head around to face the NightWing. She sighed.

"No, I didn't read your mind," She looked right into his icy blue eyes. "I just guessed that IceWings would hate it here; Hot, humid, and the opposite of the Ice Kingdom. The polar-opposite, actually."

Moon scrunched up her snout as if she was trying not to laugh at her own joke.

"That was terrible," Jasmin commented.

"I think it was great," Qibli jumped in. Winter shot the SandWing a sharp look. Moon suddenly stopped. Jasmin almost bumped into her.

"A NightWing's coming," Moon whispered. "Obsidian. He has dark thoughts all the time."

All five of them scrabbled up a tree and stood still. Jasmin was squashed uncomfortably between Qibli and Kinkajou, and she tried not squirm as the heat coming from the SandWing touched her scales. The RainWing was pressing close to her side, and Jasmin could literally feel the waves of excitement from her.

"Okay, everything's clear," Moon announced after what felt like a thousand years. "We can go now, but let's be careful."

Jasmin heard someone's stomach rumbling behind her, and she turned around to see Winter looking miserably hungry. A sloth, not her own, was clambering onto a branch besides him, and he reached out eagerly.

"Wait-"

A red blur crashed through the trees and lunged at Winter. Jasmin hastily switched back into her 'Mirage' form and swiftly moved to stand next to him. She pulled the sloth to safety and out of Winter's reach, then grappled the angry RainWing onto the ground and stifled a gasp as the air was knocked out of her. 

"No one hurts Toe Fur!" The RainWing hissed, right in her ear. "Or they'll pay."