Chapter 49

"I could blast a hole through the wall," Qibli offered.

"Don't you dare!" Kinkajou shook her head. "No fire in my rainforest, thank you!"

"Um, can we go more quickly?" Jasmin asked.

"Yeah, we better," Qibli agreed. "The dragonets are almost done counting."

"Five hundred forty seven! Six hundred eleven!" They shouted, proving his point.

"That, too." She flicked her tail nervously. "But I might hurt anyone any time right now."

"I have an idea." Winter shoved Qibli out of the way. He blew a plume of frostbreath at a corner, making a hole big enough for all five of them to crawl through. "I'll go first."

"Wait!" Moon stopped him. She paused, and Jasmin guessed that she was listening for any minds outside. "Okay, you can go now.

The IceWing pushed his way through the blackened leaves. Jasmin quickly followed, shivering slightly as the frostbitten leaves grazed her tucked wings. After a moment, she jumped up, relieved to be free of the uncomfortable closeness of the hatchery. 

"Whew," The hybrid wiped a bead of sweat off her forehead. A cascade of colors poured through her scales, and Jasmin finally settled to a calm blue-purple. 

"We need to hurry," Moon said as she went came out into the open. Kinkajou followed her lead. "The dragonets will notice soon enough that we're not in there anymore."

"Oh, it'll be fine," Kinkajou reassured the NightWing. "You wouldn't believe how thoroughly they search the hatchery before giving up. They search every square inch; It's like a RainWing obsession."

"Great, and also; I have an idea where Icicle might be," Jasmin added. "The old home of the NightWings."

"So you mean she's in-" Qibli started.

"Yup," She finished. "The volcano."