Chapter 33

Mirage blinked. Qibli grinned. Kinkajou bounced up and down at the excitement of a new discovery. Turtle looked at his armband with mild respect.

"So I'd like you each to have a piece of skyfire each so that you can have your privacy," Moon said. 

"With your permission, Turtle," She added quickly.

"Of course," He started picking out the bits of rock from his armband. When he managed to free them, Turtle handed them each a small rock. 

It's hard to believe that this one pebble holds so much power, Mirage thought as she dropped the skyfire into her pouch on her wrist so that it clinked with the library stamp inside.

"Okay, this is a really great discovery and everything, but can we go out to find Winter now?" Qibli interrupted. Mirage smacked herself with a talon. How could she have forgotten?

"Wait, but it's raining. I should go alone," Moon looked at them. "I feel like I owe Winter for lying."

"It'll be fine," Qibli ruffled open his wings, though clearly uncomfortable at the thought of the cold rain. 

"Yeah, Moon," Kinkajou turned an alarming shade of pink. "I'm a RainWing, and I live in the rainforest. It practically rains all the time in there!"

"But, this weather is going to be-" Turtle was interrupted by the RainWing.

"Come on, it'll be alright!" She shoved him playfully. "You're a SeaWing, you live in water! You practically breathe it!"

"But swimming isn't the same as getting hit in the face with small balls of water!" The SeaWing protested. "Also the lightning. Did we talk about the lightning?" 

"He's in," Kinkajou beamed at Moon. 

"You don't need to go," She sighed. "Okay, fine. Let's go."

As Mirage took off, trying not to turn orange as the stinging rain hit her scales, she wondered whether Winter would accept help from his winglet.