Chapter 53

Jasmin stayed quiet the entire time as she followed Qibli, Winter, Moon, and Kinkajou out of the tunnel and into the dark rainforest. She thought about what Winter had said.

Kill who? She wondered. Kinkajou? Moon? Glory? Scarlet? 

Jasmin touched down lightly on the wooden planks in front of the healer's treehouse, stopping in front of the entrance.

Me?

She shook the thought out of her mind. Why was she so worried? If Winter planned to kill Moon, Kinkajou, Glory, or herself, Jasmin could get him first. But she was still shaken. 

Would Winter actually try to kill one of us? She wondered. Even a queen that rules two tribes?

 Would he kill his friends, just for a sister that hates him? 

For once, Jasmin didn't know. 

"Are you okay?" She snapped out of her thoughts as Moon poked her head out of the entrance. "You're very quiet."

Jasmin shrugged, but an unstoppable urge came over her.

"Moon," She began. "I've heard a bit of what Winter said to Icicle, and it was very...disturbing."

"What did he say?" The NightWing dragonet tilted her head curiously.

"Well, it was only a bit of the end," Jasmin hesitated, not wanting to stress her out. "'Kill her myself.' That's what he said. I'm not sure who he meant, but-" She broke off coughing.

"Jasmin," Moon furrowed her eyebrows. "Are you alright?"

"I'm totally-" Another coughing fit racked her body. "-fine. Just some smoke..."

Moon shot her one last concerned look, then went back into the healer's hut. Jasmin gasped for breath, trying to soothe her burning throat. 

What's wrong with me? She thought as she followed the NightWing's tail. The hybrid blinked away the sudden darkness inside the hut. As she got used to the darkness, Jasmin saw the outlines of her friends. Moon took a seat besides Icicle, who was lying down in a hammock, a frown on her face.

"She's dreaming," Moon breathed, closing her eyes. Jasmin stifled another cough, trying to get rid of the smell of smoke. "Scarlet's there."

After a few moments, Moon finally opened her eyes. "Pass me a scroll. Paper. Anything."

Kinkajou ran out of the hut and returned a few minutes later with an empty scroll.

"There were mountains behind Queen Scarlet," The NightWing dragonet sketched out wide lines overlapping each other, like the churning waves of the ocean. "They looked slightly like this."

"I've never seen any mountains like this," Qibli frowned, then passed the drawing to Winter. He shook his head, then gave the scroll to Jasmin.

"You've seen more than any of us," His dark blue eyes were crowded with mixed emotions. "You must've seen these mountains before."

Jasmin leaned in, inspecting the drawing closely. "These mountains...I feel like I've seen them before. It's not Jade Mountain, for sure. Maybe Claws of the Clouds Mountain? Or near Scarlet's palace? Somewhere near the Sky Kingdom?"

"Hmm." Kinkajou lit up suddenly. "We could ask Deathbringer! He must know! He's seen almost the whole continent!"

Jasmin sighed, wings drooping.