Chapter 61

"Where did you get that rock?" Qibli asked. "No wait- how did you get that rock?"

"Oh," Moon breathed. "You're an animus!"

"Um, kind of a secret one?" Turtle shrugged. Jasmin rolled her eyes at his timidness. Winter stood up, blinking fiercely. 

"I'm...not dead," He said at last.

"Well, why else would you be talking?" Jasmin snorted, tail flicking impatiently. "What I want to know is, why did you even get close to dying in the first place?"

"It wasn't my fault!" Winter flared. "That monster was attacking me! I was only defending myself!"

"No I wasn't!" Peril cried. "You were looping all over the place and you collided into me!"

"So." Jasmin glared at Winter. "Stick your royal IceWing snout out of Peril's business."

"You almost got killed!" Moon yelped, ignoring Jasmin's scathing comment. 

"Wait- there was a NightWing with me when I came here. Where'd she go?" Winter asked, confused. 

"Oh. I might have sent her away for help," Peril said sheepishly. "Sorry. Was she important?"

"Yes!" He cried. The IceWing stood up and started pacing on the warm sand. Jasmin sighed.

"Okay, so who was this NightWing?" She raised an eyebrow. "I thought all IceWings hated NightWings?"

Moon winced. 

"And I thought you weren't coming back?" Qibli piped up. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" Peril suddenly interrupted, looking at Turtle. "I thought you trusted me."

"Well-" Turtle started, looking startled. 

"You said that Moon's secret was hers to tell," The SkyWing said fiercely. "Couldn't you have told me that you were an animus?"

"Peril," The SeaWing tried again. "I was going to tell you at one point, but-"

"But you couldn't trust me, right?" Peril whipped around and flared her burning wings. Jasmin leaped out of the way as her lashing tail almost hit her side. "Well, fine! I don't need you! I'll go find Scarlet all by myself!"

With that, Peril flew off into the distance, smoke trailing after her. 

"Peril! Wait!" Turtle called, but she was already gone.