Chapter 13

Mirage curled her tail, making sure the venomous tip doesn't scratch her own tail, and the harmless loop collided into Moon's chest.

"Moon, it's fine, you're safe," Mirage soothed. The Nightwing's eyes were shut tight, wings tense.

"I'm...not dead?" She whispered.

"Well, course not! Why else would you be talking?" Mirage snorted. Qibli flew over to the two. 

"Moon!" He cried. "Are you alright?" 

Mirage rolled her eyes, her ruff, which was folded back so others could barely see it, threatening to turn red. A blur of green and lime passed her as Kinkajou raced to her friend. Mirage turned and saw that the goat had went into hiding behind a huge rock. She glided over and grabbed it, killing it with a squeeze. She flew over to her friends, and tossed the dead goat at Moon's feet.

"Here, it's yours," She called from the sky. "I owe it to you."

Mirage wasn't doing this because she felt bad, but because she didn't like to owe someone her whole life. That was happened her first day of being an assassin.

Flashback:

Jasmin was 3. She fluttered through the trees and landed in front of the tunnel that led to the Kingdom of Sand. She waited for Coyote to come out, and they could talk about what they did during the day. But Coyote didn't come. He was nowhere to be seen, even though she waited and waited until the moons were out. 

Nowhere.

Suddenly, a flash of black caught her eye. A Nightwing landed in front of her, flying out of the tunnel, holding two sharp discs in each talon. Jasmin crouched defensively, mouth snapped open, showing sharp fangs that shot deadly venom. Her tail-barb became visible, and she pointed it at his direction. Her scales turned a fiery scarlet, with hints of lime on her ruff.

"Oh, what a surprise! A Rainwing who's actually ready to fight! Though you might not be totally a Rainwing," The Nightwing smirked. He looked young, about ten. He looked healthy, not like the ones Coyote described. 

"Who are you and why are in our rainforest?" Jasmin demanded. She might be small, but she was fierce. 

"Why should I tell you?" He grinned. "But I'll tell you anyways. I'm Deathbringer. Who are you?" 

Jasmin growled, trembling with fear, and lime green spread around her scales. She stamped it out and replaced it with a bright red with orange streaks.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed, ignoring his question. 

"Well, I'll tell you if you tell me your name," Deathbringer offered. Jasmin growled in frustration, the orange crowding the red.

"I'm Jasmin," She said after a moment of hesitation. The Nightwing chuckled.

"Well, I came here because I'm an assassin, and I have to kidnap some of your tribe. Are you a hybrid?" He asked. Jasmin nodded slowly.

"Though you might already know," Jasmin added fiercely. "I'm a Sandwing-Rainwing hybrid. What do you do as an assassin?"

So Deathbringer told her all about it, about killing dragons they've been assigned, and sneaking around. Jasmin had listened to every single detail with careful attention, and when he finally finished, she spoke up.

"I want to be an assassin."