Chapter 56

It had been a few weeks since Jasmin had been stuck inside the rainforest. It was boring, uneventful, but nice. Her cough got better, she got more time with Euphoria, and, better yet, she could finally get little trips out the healer's hut.

"A few hours?" Jasmin shrugged. "Better than nothing."

"Be back before it's dark!" Bullfrog called as she glided smoothly through the trees. 

Soon, she reached the tunnel to get to the Kingdom of Sand. Jasmin ran through with no hesitations, and flew straight to the Scorpion Den. She made sure she was back into her SandWing form, though.

"Where were you?" A furious customer snapped. "I have a victim, and you haven't been here for weeks!"

"A great assassin you are!" Another SandWing, who had yellow scales so pale they were almost white, lashed her long tail. She had cornered Jasmin in an empty alley. "How can you leave with so much of us waiting?"

Jasmin looked coolly at her. "I can come whenever I want, thank you very much."

She casually lashed out a strong talon and raked them across the startled SandWing's face. She let out a howl of pain.

"That'll teach you to try ordering me around." Jasmin snarled, then thrust her tail-barb through the SandWing's throat. She let out a strangled cry, blood gurgling at the corners of her mouth, then fell still.

Cleaning the blood off her scales, Jasmin flew off, a familiar feeling of excitement and danger overwhelming her. It was almost night, and the blue sky was streaked with red and orange, as if a dragonet had slashed paint over the pale blue. 

Jasmin smiled all the way back to the rainforest. 

A few days later, the healer's announced that she could leave now. 

"Really?" Jasmin cried with glee when they nodded. She grinned happily, and said her goodbyes to Glory and her mother.

"I'll be alright," Jasmin comforted Euphoria. "I survived a great explosion and some close calls, right?"

"I know," The pale pink RainWing sighed. "But, dear, be careful, alright?"

"I will," Jasmin promised. She gave Euphoria a rare hug, and flew off to the Scorpion Den.

Moon, Kinkajou, Winter, Qibli, I'm coming! She thought.