Chapter 30

Mirage looked in horror as the icy breath seemed to blast at Starflight in slow-motion. She took in a sharp breath, and...

...Leaped right into the path of the frostbreath.

"Mirage!" Kinkajou shrieked. 

"No, Mirage!" Qibli reached out, desperation in written all over his face. "Stop!"

But the frostbreath had already reached her. But before it could freeze her heart, Mirage pushed Starflight away and rolled into a tight ball, careful of her barbed tail. Her wingtip got caught in the blast, but she bit back the pain.

"Starflight," Mirage mumbled. Surely the librarian got out of the way safely? 

"Here," A shocked voice answered her. "Thank you, Mirage. You saved me."

"Mirage!" Moon wrapped a wing around her body. "Don't frighten me like that again!"

Mirage could tell that the NightWing was holding back tears. She smiled weakly, then shook her wings out. The pain wasn't that bad, and it only shot a light stab of pain up her body.

"I'm fine," She told Kinkajou, who looked ready to burst with fear. "It hardly hurts."

"This might help," Qibli leaned in, his heat uncomfortably close, but easing the pain. Winter was at the back, shooting Mirage a worried look. 

"I think Icicle went to rainforest," She interrupted the nervous tension. "She knows that Scarlet hates Queen Glory, and maybe thinks that killing her would let Scarlet forgive her."

"Then Glory is in danger!" Kinkajou jumped up, ready to fly out of the library. 

"Please, stay still, Kinkajou," Moon pleaded. Winter rolled his eyes in exasperation.

"Nu-uh!" The little RainWing shook her head violently. "I'm not standing still waiting for my queen to die!"

"Kinkajou, be reasonable," Mirage barely managed to stop herself turning red. "Glory has an army of invisible, magical-death-spitting RainWings and Deathbringer as a bodyguard. Practically impossible to kill."

"Yes, but she's my queen-"

"Yes, I know that." Mirage stated flatly. Kinkajou flashed several different colors until finally rushing out of the library.

"Well, I'm still worried, and no one can stop me from being that!"